Flying With Sugar Flowers

Decorating By mommymarilyn Updated 18 Jul 2016 , 4:04pm by mommymarilyn

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone flown on a plane with a small box of gumpaste/fondant flowers? I searched the TSA website for information, but couldn't find a clear answer. Apparently it's ok to bring a cake onboard, although it does say it's up to the discretion of TSA employees. I will only need to bring 3-4 flowers in a small box, but they are on wrapped wires

2 replies
Lisa6of6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa6of6 Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 3

I've taken various types of food through security before, mostly different types of candy/snacks. I've spent almost 9 years flying post 9/11 for work, going through security every week although I have not specifically taken decorating items.  However, I know TSA restrictions are around gels and liquids.  Even then, gels and liquids must be in a 1 oz bottles in 1 qt bag.  Gumpaste/fondant flowers should not be a problem.

I will say, make sure you have enough cushioning around your flowers to keep them from breaking.  

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 3

Update: I packed the flower arrangement in a small, clear box filled with cotton batting, placed it on the conveyor, and the TSA personnel never said a thing. Silly me, I thought the metal wires might be an issue, but apparently not. They didn't even open the container. Ended up being the least stressful part of the trip after all!  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%