How Do You Gather Real Time Reactions On Your Wedding Cake Work?

Business By mccdelc Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 6:47am by RobinYummCakes

mccdelc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccdelc Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 13

I've run a cake business for about 6 years now and done many, many wedding cakes and while I get many thanks by phone and emails lately Im feeling the need to dig a little more on how people perceive my work. I do ask the brides afterword when I get a chance but answers are so vague at that point (when they are back from their honeymoon). I want to see the bride and grooms first reaction, I want to know what guests think about the cake when they enter the reception, and I certainly want to know how they liked the taste. I even want to know what the waiting staff thinks! I read many posts here about vendors being invited to weddings they catered and everyone recommending not to attend. Me? Id love to be invited! Coming from a market research background Im dying to get some real consumer insight on my product. Any ideas on how to do it?

12 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 13

Offer to cut the cake? If it's already included in the venue fee you might have to do it for free.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 13

That would be my suggestion as well, offer to cut the cakes.

mccdelc Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks, the baker serving the cake its not something you do in my country, the venue staff does it. It would actually look really weird if I did it.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 13

Most brides wouldn't know that though

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 13

Do you not get feedback afterwards?  Feedback is common, do you have a website, or any other form of communication where pleased clients can communicate with you with ease?

mccdelc Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 13

I do get feedback, mostly positive, but theres not much detail, brides usually get back to me a month+ after the wedding. They usually email me. I guess I must be doing something right if I keep getting orders, still I would love to see reactions at the wedding.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 9:27am
post #8 of 13

That's quite a strange notion if you get good feedback and repeat orders, it suggests you aren't totally confident in your work? If you are doing loads of cakes how do you find time to worry about what the venue staff think of it never mind the bride who paid for it.

There was another thread a while ago where despite getting polite thanks and emails on her "babies" the OP still wasn't satisfied and was pondering if it was wise to call up and basically harass the bride and guests to get more "feedback". The general consensus was No, don't do that. If you've given them what they paid for and they have went to the bother of thanking you either personally or by e-mail (and trust me, it is a bother with a million other things to think of other than actually getting what you paid for) why isn't that enough?

To the consumer, its just a cake that they picked paid for and enjoyed at their special event...it was not THE special event.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 13

I'm with @cakebaby2 ‍, if you're getting positive feedback that's all you need. If you want to see some real-time reactions ask the photographer to get some photos of the cake cutting and tell them that you'll pay them for copies. I had a gallery of cake cutting photos on my website at one point and it was a pretty popular thing. Also good for future customers because they see everyone looking happy when they're cutting the cake.

mccdelc Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 13

You are right, Im overthinking it. I guess I always want to know a little more rather than just a bunch of thank yous. The cake cutting photo on the website is always popular, I find it a bit cliche but might try it.

Thanks for your time and the suggestions!

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 13

Not stalking this thread, really, but feeling compelled to say that once you have sold and delivered that cake, it is out of your hands. Take pics, and wave it good bye. Any feedback that comes back to you at that point is (cliché alert) the 'icing on the cake.' They are 'your babies' but they have been sold & are meant to be eaten. People tasting the deliciousness after it has been cut at the end is the end. It is cake & meant to be a 'temporary' form of art. You have been compensated for your services and not everybody slows down enough to send comments or thanks. As you yourself say, 'I guess I must be doing something right if I keep getting orders' True dat ;)

Just my opinion.

gracefull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracefull Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 13

I own a licensed commercial bakery that specializes in custom wedding cakes and have been in business for 14 years. If you are making cakes professionally I would suggest you join some sites that cater to weddings. Two of the largest are WeddingWire and The Knot. Both of these sites let couples leave reviews of your company after the wedding. You can add a link directly to your web site or Facebook page so clients can leave reviews immediately. In today's wedding industry not advertising your business on one of these sites  is a hindrance to your business. When brides are searching for a wedding cake vendor this is what they are looking at and the more positive reviews you receive from past clients is what will put you ahead of your competition.

RobinYummCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinYummCakes Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 6:47am
post #13 of 13

I totally get you on wanting an authentic reaction to your work. You put your all into making cakes, and wanting your client to be happy. A cake decorator I watch on Periscope- Bree Stanfill of Vintage Soul Cakes-gave some amazing advice the other day. She actually attends the weddings she makes cakes for, and cuts and serves the cake. I'm not sure where you are from, but she is in the USA and this is the first really I have heard of a decorator doing this. So, it may look strange to some, but if it's a service you would be willing to provide for free, I say do it( that is if the bride happily agrees). You can see first hand those true reactions, even talk briefly to the bride or whoever directly ordered the cake from you to make sure they were happy with it, and wish the bride and groom well. You could introduce yourself to each vendor at the reception, give them your card, and a slice of cake - they will be likely to recommend you to other brides. She also packages up a slice of each flavor cake for the bride and groom to take with them after the reception, to make sure they get some, as well as packages a few slices to go for some who may have to leave early, or family members who couldn't attend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%