Going To Attempt This Cake.. Advice?

Baking By Emmo Updated 27 Jun 2016 , 8:00pm by jselle

Emmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmo Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

Im going to attempt making this for the 4th of July.   I've never made a cake that involved cutting/ strategically placing inside.   Any tips before i start?   I will be using a vegan recipe.   I'm thinking it might be a good idea to work with frozen layers.   And maybe minimal icing in between layers to keep it from falling apart?   Hmm. Tips?[postimage id="4415" thumb="900"]

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

I've made this and it's not difficult. I didn't use any frosting between the blue ring and the other colors and used a cold, not frozen cake. I wished that I had put some white baking chips in the blue for stars.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry, hit the wrong button. I only used red cake and my frosting made the white layers, but I torted the red layers so they were fairly thin. Looked more like a real flag that way.

TwoThumbs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoThumbs2 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 5

I like the white chocolate chips idea!  I made this cake a few years ago with my (then) 5 year old daughter, back when I did a lot less baking... and it was not as intimidating as it looks. I agree about using cold cake to cut. All the guests loved it, though!  I'm sure you'll do just fine!

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 5

I did one a couple of years ago  it was easier than I expected and was a huge hit at a church potluck!

[postimage id="4417" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%