In The Last Year..

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 6 Jul 2016 , 5:52pm by -K8memphis

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

..where I leave, 4 bakeries shut down.

It's getting scary out here, so I'm trying to find new way of getting business. 

I'm thinking about savory catering for other businesses (like dealerships, offices.. Anywhere they had meetings and food), maybe some real estates. 

Does anybody have this type of business and can share how to start? Or any other ideas please?

thanks

6 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 9:54am
post #2 of 7

Hi Italian Baker, sorry you are experiencing this too. You were always confident and optimistic. The very fact your thread hasn't been answered since over a week ago should tell you something. Most of the businesses that were here at CC have closed down or are "diversifying" into tutorials for the rash of newbies that have taken their place with ever cheaper cakes.

Those still clinging on by the fingernails haven't time to waste on these boards anymore they are out there fighting for every cupcake they can get. How about truly  artisan breads or gluten free baking? Find a niche the Betty  Crocker cake mix gang cant do and go for it.

I'm in the UK but here businesses and dealerships aren't doing big catered lunches for staff and clients anymore, they are taking them out to restaurants they have hammered deals out with, about twice a year. The other alternative is a food truck, but that comes with its own set of problems.

There will always be the dream client to whom money is no object and to whom bragging rights to an artisan baker is important, but there are more cheapskates around.

I'm so glad I kept baking as an enjoyable hobby and my gifts are appreciated by foodies, I'm sorry you are finding it tough. I used to love your posts and refreshing ideas for getting business x 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 7

sorry I missed your post -- the pro baking world has been down sizing the down sized for several decades -- nothing new -- there is zero money to be made selling nice artisan baked breads -- especially if the intent is to help keep you afloat -- the time invested versus roi is a glaring deal breaker -- always has been

the majority of bakeries in the u.s. use mixes and prepared batters and dough -- and that is how they are succeeding --

papa murphy's I think has a pretty good model -- they sell unbaked pizzas, cheese bread, cookie dough -- it's not a new concept but they seem to have it down to a science --

my church keeps a freezer full of prepared foods to take & bake -- they have special times to pre-order more meals picked from a menu and take home to cook later --

that's a potential passive way to increase sales of cookie and bread dough, coffee cakes, etc. -- fill up a freezer and spread the word --

"baking is a penny business" not too many survive much less get rich

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 7

oh and we have a restaurant here that sells all kinds of artisan goods from jewelry to pottery to produce to foods -- all around the walls of the dining room there's little booths of cool things for sale -- you could also plant freezers in places like that to sell more of your frozen food line -- 

your best bet to bring in the money is celebration cake -- so becoming super efficient there is muy important --

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 7

Before you start, look at Panera.com and see what they're doing and their pricing. They do catering now and they're pushing it, so if you're going to be competing against that it might be hard, or you'll have to market it as a "non-corporate alternative." I got an email from them this morning saying that I could get $5 off my first delivery order with them, so they're delivering, too. I can totally see an entire office getting Panera delivery for lunch, so there's a market for it but you'll have to see what you're up against before putting a lot of money into it.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

running a restaurant that also caters is quite a different formula than running a bakery that caters--

good luck to you

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 7

but of course a restaurant with a bakery can be very successful like perkins and cheesecake factory and those other pie restaurants --

i love panera's pecan rolls and their cinnamon rolls -- really really good 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%