Dessert Alphabet – A Word Game

Lounge By moreCakePlz Updated 7 Jan 2017 , 8:15pm by Laetia

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 85

Okay, I going to try and resurrect some of the old word games we used to play in the CC Lounge.  This one is the Dessert Alphabet where you post a strange/unique/interesting dessert that begins with the letter currently “in play”.  We start with “A” and end with “Z” working our way through the alphabet one dessert at a time. A photo of the dessert is optional.

First up is the letter “A”, and I submit for your review the Argentinian Alfajores.  The Alfajore is a very tender, shortbread-like cookie that is slathered with dulce de leche and stacked to make a sandwich.  As a final step it is rolled in shredded coconut.  Yum.

[postimage id="4406" thumb="900"]

Anyone want to take a crack at “B”?

84 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 85

blueberry buckle? maybe too ordinary... it's a blueberry coffee cake

moreCakePlz Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 85

I love blueberry buckle! Alton Brown has a great recipe.  The secret ingredient is ginger.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/blueberry-buckle-recipe.html

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 85

For "C," how about a clafoutis? A clafoutis (pronounced klah-foo-TEE) is a traditional rustic French dessert that's made with fresh fruit baked in a thick, sweet batter. It's traditionally made with dark cherries, but other fruits work as well.

[postimage id="4407" thumb="900"]

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 11:20am
post #5 of 85

Dobos Torte -  Hungarian sponge cake layered with chocolate buttercream and topped with caramelDobos cake (Gerbeaud Confectionery Budapest Hungary).jpg

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 85

That looks delish!  All I could come up with was danish, donut and date squares, nothing strange/unique/interesting.  Fun thread but I'm apparently not very good at this game. Lol

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 85

[postimage id="4416" thumb="900"]I'll do E 

ensaimada-is a pastry from Spain  it is the traditional sweet bread of Mallorca, Spain.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 85

this is not super imaginative but French crullers are some of the best pastries on the planet well ok the galaxy yum yum

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 12:13am
post #9 of 85

G...........hmmmmmm...........G G G.............sorry can't think ..........these desserts have rendered me speechless.......

oh GELATO!!!!!!!!!

oK so its not strange or unique .........but I love all things Italian. kissing_heart.png

1universe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1universe Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 12:17am
post #10 of 85

Fruit Galette is a favorite in my house. We take the easy way out and make it with Comstock cherry filling.

The galette is a free form flaky pastry baked with a fruit filling.  It's not alway pretty, but everyone says "yummmm"!

[postimage id="4418" thumb="900"]

1universe Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 12:23am
post #11 of 85

Hummingbird cake, which I have yet to taste I've heard about it all my life,  having grown up in Missouri .

kstevens Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 12:37am
post #12 of 85

@1universe ‍ I've made hummingbird cake and quite liked it.  Worth a try in my mind.

Good old Google came through for me so I can do "I". From Wikipedia:

Imagawayaki (今川焼き?) is a Japanese dessert often found at Japanese festivals as well as outside Japan. It is made of batter in a special pan (similar to a waffle iron but without the honeycomb pattern), and filled with sweet azuki bean paste, although it is becoming increasingly popular to use a wider variety of fillings such as vanilla custard, different fruit custards andpreservescurry, different meat and vegetable fillings, potato and mayonnaise.

[postimage id="4419" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 5:31am
post #13 of 85

Jalebi, also known as Zulbia, is a sweet popular in countries of South Asia, the West Asia, North Africa. It is made by deep-frying a wheat flour (maida flour) batter in pretzel or circular shapes, which are then soaked in sugar syrup.

Isn't Google great?

Jalebi-artificial-color.jpg

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 85

Kurma, this a a traditional sweet from Trinidad, made by deep frying a sweet dough and tossing in a sugar glaze. A favorite childhood treat of mine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 85

Aaahhhh the last time I looked it was only at 'e' and I was waiting to add an 'h'.  NOw it's too late :( :(   Can't remember the name of the next one I;m  thinking about.....I could call it something else just to be able to post it.

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:52pm
post #16 of 85

@ kakeladi Could it be "Lettuce Cake"??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:05pm
post #17 of 85

Aaahhhh shucks!  You beat me too it :)

No, actually I was still trying to come up with the name.  Getting old is for the birds!  Can;t remember nuttin':(   The other day I locked the keys in the ignition of my car when I want to WalMart:(  Had to stand outside in 100 degree heat for 45 min waiting for AAA  to come rescue me.  

BTW:  I did a google search for 'lettuce cake recipe' and what comes up is dz & dz of recipes that use a lettuce leaf somewhere in the recipe - NOT cakes!  Except for one that the main feature of is lemon icing.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 4:25pm
post #18 of 85

Typical mooncakes are round pastries, measuring about 10 cm in diameter and 3–4 cm thick. This is the Cantonese mooncake, eaten in Southern China in GuangdongHong Kong, and Macau. A rich thick filling usually made from red bean or lotus seed paste is surrounded by a thin (2–3 mm) crust and may contain yolks from salted duck eggs. Mooncakes are usually eaten in small wedges accompanied by Chinese tea. Today, it is customary for businessmen and families to present them to their clients or relatives as presents,[1] helping to fuel a demand for high-end mooncake styles. 

I like moon cakes but not so much with the salted duck egg yolk inside! It is pretty though.

jinluyishipin2008130155745.jpg

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:04pm
post #19 of 85

Just as a note... I found spiced lettuce cake bars... lol

http://bakingbites.com/2009/05/spiced-lettuce-cake-bars/

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:23pm
post #20 of 85

yeah i only eat my duck eggs unsalted -- hahahahaha

moreCakePlz Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 85

[postimage id="4442" thumb="900"]

How about N for Napoleon Cake....

1universe Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:54pm
post #22 of 85

moreCakePlz

i must say that is the best Napoleon I have ever seen!

moreCakePlz Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 7:57pm
post #23 of 85

LOL - not my Napoleon.  That is an awesome picture I found on google images.  My Napoleons look sad, sad, sad...

jselle Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 8:25pm
post #24 of 85

"O" is for one of my favorite desserts -- Opéra Cake. This divine treat is made of think layers of almost sponge soaked with coffee syrup and then chocolate buttercream and ganache. Yum!

[postimage id="4446" thumb="900"]

jselle Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 8:29pm
post #25 of 85

Sorry for the typos. I tried to edit but couldn't.  "Think" above should be "thin," and "almost" should have been "almond." flushed.png

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 8:44pm
post #26 of 85

That Opera Cake looks divine...........

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 8:58pm
post #27 of 85

Panforte is a traditional Italian dessert containing fruits and nuts, and resembles fruitcake[postimage id="4447" thumb="900"]

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 9:16pm
post #28 of 85

Quince tarte tatin

[postimage id="4448" thumb="900"]

Quince is a fruit from an Asian tree that is a fall fruit. It's good for making jams and jellies too 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 3:42pm
post #29 of 85

unbleached flour pecan rolls stuck_out_tongue.png

kstevens Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 4:17pm
post #30 of 85

I think we should be at "r" so I'll go with ravioli dolci, a sweet ravioli.

[postimage id="4455" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%