Help Trying To Figure Out How To Accomplish This

Decorating By Webake2gether Updated 7 Jul 2016 , 12:12pm by -K8memphis

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 11

I have a customer who ordered a cupcake dress. The dress will be pink and she wants purple, blue and green dots to coordinate with the table decorationsflowing up from the bottom of the dress. I will attach a picture that she sent me. I don't just want to put polka dots on there and I'm trying to figure how I could achieve a similar look like the plates. I want them to look like they are floating up from the bottom of the dress and not just flat dots. I hope that makes sense. I have a couple of ideas but not sure they'll accomplish what I'm wanting or if what I want is even a possibility. 

[postimage id="4393" thumb="900"]

Maybe just some pink sanding sugar then placing the polka dots over that but I still think the dots will look flat I hope that makes sense :)

10 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 11

Do you want rounded dots? How about piping various sizes and colors of royal dots on parchment? It would take a ton to imitate that plate but it would probably go fast.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 11

What about something similar to a splatter effect? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 11

i hope it's ok if i respond too relaxed.png

to add to what others have said --

if you pipe -- my suggestion is to pipe right on the surface -- you can get royal icing to stay in a rounded dot if you add water to it after it is properly made/whipped up -- it will hold perfectly in a dot shape --

splatter effect is good -- maybe with thinned royal -- in furniture finishing it's called fly speck (shudder) you dip your clean brand new tooth brush in your paint and run your thumb over the bristles from top to bottom to fleck the paint off-- just practice a bit to get it the way you want --

if you could get your airbrush to splatter rather than spray but i don't know how to make those rounded --

oh i got an idea -- make fondant pearls in the different colors and roll them on all over where you want them -- have you been to earlene's page where she shows you how with the other end of the piping tube as the cutter -- but i hope they paid you for this effect and extra work -- but that would give that effect -- 

y'know what else you can get all different sizes of nonpareils and get a few pearls too -- color them and bam! -- color with your air brush or powders or something -- i usually use mine white though -- pearls made of fondant take powdered color well --

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 11

honestly i would just pipe all that in buttercream probably -- pat down the tips

done

Webake2gether Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone!! My husband had suggested the splatter effect as well but I guess I needed to hear it from someone else boy oh boy lol.

we do have an air brush and I told him about and he said he knew how he could do it with that but the splatter effect would probably be easier. I'm a hot mess with Royal icing just can't work with it we'll probably bc I don't want to take the time to learn how to lol. 

I priced appropriately to allow a little extra time to work those dots out but still have to keep it reasonably quick. I'll have to look into fondant pearls never made them before. This may not be the week to try anything new bc I won't quit until I get it right haha!! I just can't picture how this will turn out and it bothers me. I know what I don't want it to look like :)

Webake2gether Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 11

Upon googling the splatter effect I found this cake board and it's exactly the look we are going for. Again thanks for responding everyone!! I guess my husband is right sometimes but shhhhh that's between us :) just kidding I'm just not naturally artistic and he is so sometimes things don't make sense to me until I either see it or hear it multiple times from others.

[postimage id="4405" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 11

just for the record -- if you have a decent cake store nearby -- just as another option here -- like you needed anymore -- you can buy the nonpareils in the different sizes and the pearls -- 

from what I can tell on the plate -- the pink is the base color all the way across -- so I would ice the whole thing that color -- easy peasy -- you love to pipe little stars -- then just pretend it's a big cookie and pipe dots instead of stars --

i don't think sanding sugar will give this look for you -- even if she wants it sparkley -- I'd still do the flat pink colored bc and use gum arabic flake edible glitter

you got this -- you're making it too complicated 

just because a decorator gets a special order they don't have to make an extra special effort if a straightforward one will work kwim --

can't wait to see what you come up with

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

oh I missed your splatter picture -- great!  

Webake2gether Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 11

Ended up doing it the way I didn't want to lol. Reason is the splatter effect didn't give the look we wanted although I now want to do a splatter cake bc I loved the look. When I delivered the cupcake cake I was actually glad that we did it the way we did bc it actually coordinated perfectly with the other decorations. I already had the dots made from a previous order a few days prior and it literally took like 2 minutes and it was done. the picture of the plate really wasn't a good reference bc the decorations didn't look like that in person. Simple little cupcake dress cake nothing spectacular lol :) thanks again for the help I can't wait to do the splatter effect!!![postimage id="4539" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 11

it's beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%