Colors ?!?!?!?!

Decorating By KalizCakes Updated 27 Jun 2016 , 7:44pm by bluem

KalizCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalizCakes Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hello Everyone, 

I am very new here but I do have one question. Every time I decorate I'll have color on my hands for at least 2-3 days before coming off 5 showers later. :) 

Is there anything else I can use to prevent coloring my fingers and hands along with my fondant?

9 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 10

Hi KalizCakes!  I have seen people who wear gloves just until the color gets initially mixed in and then they take the gloves off and mix it the rest of the way.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 10

I've been at this long enough that air brushing is usually the only activity that leaves me colorful -- but this would work for any activity --

get some polident tablets -- are you in the states--

these are denture cleaning tablets -- you drop one in a cup of water and put in your dentures to clean them --

well dip your fingers in instead before getting plastered with color and you'll still get color on your hands but it washes offeasy peasy and you can keep dunking as you go too --

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 10

hey for kneading color into fondant -- I put it all in a baggie -- well a small amount of fondant and the whole amount of color -- and just manipulate it around in there till it's all sucked up then add it to the bigger blob and finish kneading by hand -- it works great -- 

KalizCakes Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you, I was worried the gloves would make it taste funny. I will definitely try it out. 

KalizCakes Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 10

@K8memphis That is an awesome idea, Thank you so much! :) 

Both of your responses! 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 10

I always spray my hands with spray oil before mixing colours in, the colour that does stay on my hands washes off easily.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 12:21am
post #8 of 10

@bubs1stbirthday ‍ That's it!  I don't ever have an issue with hand staining unless it gets in my cuticles but that's gone the next too.  I do usually cover my hands in shortening because my fondant gets pretty sticky when I add color though.  That must be why :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 2:52am
post #9 of 10

@Jinkies ‍ yep, on the odd occasion when I forget I instantly regret it lol :-)

bluem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluem Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 10

I always coat at least my fingers in Crisco. It helps with the cuticles. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%