Trends Vs Industry Standard (Poll)

Lounge By TwoThumbs2 Updated 28 Jun 2016 , 4:07pm by theresaf

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 10:48pm
post #31 of 39

Sorry Kakeladi I do not eat zucchini cake or green tomato cake either.  I dont call that cake

theresaf Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 10:53pm
post #32 of 39

Uh oh didn't mean to hit submit right away!

I like my cake to be like cake, otherwise call it something else.  I love zucchini (even like spaghetti) tomatoes and carrots just not in a cake.

And while I'm on a rant lol

Even though I qualify and am a member - the AARP is full full full of people who are never going to retire so why don't they change the name to make it more inviting!  I resisted (temporarily) joining for just that reason - refuse to think I'm in that category even though my mirror and driver's license say otherwise!

Can you tell I'm originally an advertising person - I don't like mis-representation! Wink wink!

T

TwoThumbs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoThumbs2 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 11:07pm
post #33 of 39

What THE HECK is green tomato cake? It sounds like a lie parents at to get kids to eat veggies.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 11:50pm
post #34 of 39

Quote by @TwoThumbs2 on 5 hours ago

Quote by @carolinecakes on 2 days ago

What Jinkies said...........

Hobbists here, also if I want the height but do not need so much cake, I will use a foam core, to get the height I need. So if i make a 10", I will sit that on a foam core round same size, 2"- 3" in height. There's a Vegetales Cake in my gallery, the bottom is foam core.

I like this idea!!! what kind of foam core do you use? Is this a pre-made round or something you buy in a sheet and cut to your preferred size?

You can buy ready made but I get the sheets at the dollar store. They are a pain to cut, but it works and its cheap. In a pinch, I have used cake boards, stacked to the height I need, covered in saran wrap and then cover in fondant. I buy the cake boards in bulk, when those are all finished, I think I will get foam core in bulk. These tall beauties seem to be what friends & family want.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:56am
post #35 of 39

...........What THE HECK is green tomato cake?........

Actually it's a REAL cake :)  I had soooo many green tomatoes given to me by a neighbor.   I googled 'green tomato recipes' and it popped up (along w/g.t. pie) so I tried it.  It's a bit on the heavy side but not as 'bread like' as zucchini cake.  Has a nice mild flavor; would be good w/coffee (I prefer tea).   I've made the recipe several times now.  Still have some green tomatoes! :( I've made g.t. pie for yrs.  

kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:59am
post #36 of 39

Oh meant to mention that I used to have a lettuce cake recipe also.  Lost it some 6 yrs or so ago :(  They are all much like zucchini bread - heavy cake like loaves that are very similar in taste.

TwoThumbs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoThumbs2 Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 3:50pm
post #37 of 39

I have to say, as a good southern girl, I've had my share of Tomato Pie ('Mater Pie), but it's a savory dish with LOTS of cheese, lol. Tomato cake just blew my mind.  I may have to check that out, just out of curiosity! 

kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 3:57pm
post #38 of 39

Yes, green tomato pie is very different.....definitely a dessert, not a savory pie. Like many others it tastes similar to apple pie.  It's mostly the seasoning that makes it.  The last one I made ended up 'deep dish' and the tomatoes stayed rather crunchy - not as good.  I baked it over 1 hr, but it still was not as 'done' as  I would have liked.

theresaf Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 4:07pm
post #39 of 39

TwoThumbs2 Where I come from pie, tomatoes and cheese is a PIZZA!  And really, is there anything better than that ?!?!  Yummmmmmm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%