Refrigerating Cake With Gold Sugar Crystals?

Decorating By HannahsMomi Updated 26 Jun 2016 , 1:54am by HannahsMomi

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 10

Can a wedding cake tier covered in gold sugar crystals be refrigerated? I was just wondering if there would be any issues with condensation when the cake is coming back to room temperature?

9 replies
hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 10

I wouldn't risk it. I've seen colored sugar completely melt into puddles after refrigeration.

HannahsMomi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 10

The problem is, there are buttercream ruffles on the cake as well which could really use chilling before delivery...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 10

test it in your fridge and see -- are the ruffles and the sugar on the same tier? if not you could just chill the one -- or could you add the sugar last minute

if you keep the cake well insulated so it comesout of the fridge to room temperature slowly that will help with condensation -- I see corrugated cardboard boxes -- but still you'll need to test --

HannahsMomi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 10

It is a 3 tier wedding cake.  Top and bottom tiers are bc ruffles.  Middle tier is covered in gold sugar crystals....was hoping to deliver it fully stacked.  

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 10

keep the ruffle tiers cold and stack last minute -- you could toss it back in the fridge for a few minutes even an hour -- the crystals can't dissolve that fast 

wonder if this was for today though...but your test should assure more than anything else -- mor than anything I would say

please come back & update your results -- best ruffles &sugar & successful delivery!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 10

stack last minute at home I mean

HannahsMomi Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 10

I did it !! After much stress and me cradling it during the drive, the buttercream ruffles made it intact!

I had to drive the cake fully stacked due to another wedding cake delivery I had as well, so I opted not to refrigerate due to the gold sugar crystals.  I was a nervous wreck!!!  But it was successful!  Thank you all for your help!!

[postimage id="4392" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 10

gorgeous -- brava -- well done blush.png love it

now test some leftover sugar crystals on some scraps -- some in fridge some in freezer some in a box some not --

yay you did it!

HannahsMomi Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 1:54am
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much!  Yep!  Sugar crystals were all over my kitchen...I will probably be finding them for weeks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%