Can't Avoid It Anymore - Making A Cupcake Cake

Baking By hippiecac Updated 23 Jun 2016 , 5:30pm by hippiecac

hippiecac Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 4

I've been avoiding cupcake cakes for years. Turned down orders, convinced clients to get regular cupcakes or a layer cake instead...but the time has come to face my fears and make one.

I searched the boards for info on them but couldn't find what I was looking for. So here's my question. How the heck to I get the cupcakes to stay in place on the board while transporting? It's only about 10 miles, mostly highway driving but it is summer and I'm slightly terrified. 

Instinct tells me to adhere with a dab of buttercream, but I'm concerned it isn't going to hold. I'd love to use glue, but I fear the health dept. wouldn't agree with that lol. Maybe royal icing? 

The cupcakes will be arranged in the shape of an elephant and individually iced (as opposed to the flat icing across all the cupcakes), so they don't have top icing to help hold them together. 

Any words of wisdom? 

3 replies
640Cake Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 4

I've only done a couple and used buttercream to adhere both times and did not have an issue - but I also iced as a whole.  Perhaps, as you stated, royal icing would be better or even melted chocolate for more security.

ceeselena Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 4

Here's what I did: For a poster board asking someone to a school dance, I cut toothpicks in half, and using a small dab of hot glue, I glued them each onto the board. The hot glue hardens and isn't really touching the cupcake, and with the liner it shouldn't be a problem. The plus side is the the bottoms of the cupcakes will be clean. I stuck the cupcakes on the picks and the board was able to be held vertical and it worked amazing. Make sure to use a cupcake-sized circle to mark out where each cupcake will go, so the cupcakes have enough room and the toothpicks aren't too close together. Make sure to tell the client of course! ;)

hippiecac Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 4

Two excellent ideas! Thank you so much!!! kissing_heart.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%