Cracking Buttercream

Decorating By mommasue2012 Updated 23 Jun 2016 , 4:01pm by Pastrybaglady

mommasue2012  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommasue2012 Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

Does the SMBC crack like regular buttercream?  I'm making a cake  and they have requested buttercream frosting as they do not like fondant.  I have never made the smbc, wondering if it will not crack like the buttercream frosting.  Please let me know.  The cake is going to be a chalk board so either dark green or black for the buttercream so I need something that will not crack

5 replies
 Pastrybaglady  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 12:26am
post #2 of 6

The only time it has cracked on me is when I had the combo of refrigerating it hard and a board that was not firm enough.

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

If your 'regular b'cream' is cracking there is something wrong w/the recipe OR you don't have the cake on a solid board to support it's weight.  The '2 of everything icing' recipe even when made as a crusting b'cream does not crack on the cake.

julia1812  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 6:32am
post #4 of 6

On another note: I doubt you can achieve BLACK swiss meringue buttercream. It doesn't take colour too well anyway and black is the most tricky colour!

costumeczar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 6

If you do try to color it, use the oil-based candy food colorings, they work better with the meringue buttercreams. But @julia1812 ‍ is right, it's going to be hard to get it really black.

Pastrybaglady  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 6

If you can start with dark chocolate SMBC it's a much shorter trip to black. Make sure you let the color settle over night before you need it. It will get darker over time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%