Cracking Buttercream

Decorating By mommasue2012 Updated 23 Jun 2016 , 4:01pm by Pastrybaglady

mommasue2012 Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

Does the SMBC crack like regular buttercream?  I'm making a cake  and they have requested buttercream frosting as they do not like fondant.  I have never made the smbc, wondering if it will not crack like the buttercream frosting.  Please let me know.  The cake is going to be a chalk board so either dark green or black for the buttercream so I need something that will not crack

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 12:26am
post #2 of 6

The only time it has cracked on me is when I had the combo of refrigerating it hard and a board that was not firm enough.

kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

If your 'regular b'cream' is cracking there is something wrong w/the recipe OR you don't have the cake on a solid board to support it's weight.  The '2 of everything icing' recipe even when made as a crusting b'cream does not crack on the cake.

julia1812 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 6:32am
post #4 of 6

On another note: I doubt you can achieve BLACK swiss meringue buttercream. It doesn't take colour too well anyway and black is the most tricky colour!

costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 6

If you do try to color it, use the oil-based candy food colorings, they work better with the meringue buttercreams. But @julia1812 ‍ is right, it's going to be hard to get it really black.

Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 6

If you can start with dark chocolate SMBC it's a much shorter trip to black. Make sure you let the color settle over night before you need it. It will get darker over time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%