Noah's Ark

Decorating By desroy Updated 22 Jun 2016 , 8:18pm by carolinecakes

desroy Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone  I have been asked to make a Noah's Ark cake for a friend but  she wants to keep the Noah's ark and animals.  Have thought about making the ark and animals out of polymer clay  has anyone done this before need help and advice please.  The cake is three layered with the Noah's ark on top of the third . Thank you 

11 replies
carolinecakes Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 12

Something to consider......

http://www.polymerclayweb.com/aboutpolymerclay/thebasics/safetyissues.aspx

I make my figures out of gumpaste (homemade) and I don't have the heart to throw them out,especially since the kids love them so much. We use them as christmas ornaments now, and they are still in good shape 2 years later. I have thought of applying some kind of sealer on them, but have not gotten around to it. I also have gumpaste flowers in a little vase on a side table in very good shape for about 2 years also.

Then there's Cold Porcelain, most recipes cannot be used on cakes but there is one using NON TOXIC Elmer's White School Glue.
I have not used this, I like the results I get with gumpaste. HTH

Apti Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 12

I've done cakes and polymer clay and have thought about making polymer clay "toppers", just haven't had an opportunity as yet to make them. 

Obviously, I have no idea of your skill level with cake or clay, but if you have the skills to create the cake/topper you've described, a polymer clay Ark should be fine.   Any polymer clay figures need to be completely separated from any cake or frosting/fondant surface.  There are many ways to do this by placing  the polymer clay (pc) topper on a surface that can be removed before serving:    gum paste, glass, mirror, cardboard, foam core, etc.

desroy Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 12:59am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for replys my skill is basic and only learning  through YouTube and tutorials as there is no one where we live who does classes.. I have done a couple of cake toppers with gumpaste but in the morning they go hard then by the evening they have gone soft again . I have also tried to add cmc to the gumpaste but same problem. I read about the polymer clay so I was thinking that maybe easier. Also read about rice crispy to make the ark which looks simple but again the problem is it wouldn't be a keepsake. I live on an island so I think there is too much moisture around so any advice will truly be appreciated. The thank you

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 1:47am
post #5 of 12

Then you will have to use the clay or cold porcelain and do as Apti suggested, make sure you have a base to rest it on so its not touching the cake.

Not sure what you have but here's a tutorial, the animals are basic but cute........HTH

http://www.gratednutmeg.com/?p=9344

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqmMyLwxk0&feature=player_embedded

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

I have a customer who wants to keep all the sculpted fondant things I make for her. I asked her if she would want me to make them out of FIMO because they would last forever, but no, she still wants them made of fondant.  Here's a recent guitar man I made her and the dog I made her 2 years ago! She keeps them in a jar in her fridge door so she sees them every time she opens it. So fondant figures can last a long time!

900_noahs-ark_9250845769ef57e9e94.jpg

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 2:58am
post #7 of 12

@Pastrybaglady  Guitar Man is soooooo cute. Is he all fondant? No tylose powder or anything?

Apti Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 3:19am
post #8 of 12

@carolinecakes   That gratednutmeg tutorial is perfect!  I've bookmarked it for my future use. @Pastrybadlady  -  Love Guitar Man, but the dog is the best part.

@desroy  -  You may be correct about the humidity if you are in a hot/humid island climate.  I went to a wedding on an island off Puerto Rico during the winter and thought I was going to melt.  Polymer clay is a good solution for a topper.  

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 12

@carolinecakes ‍ Both of them are made of MMF with cornstarch. The guitar man is held together with toothpicks and white chocolate cement. I will never again do a standing figure like that again! Fondant isn't made to defy gravity!

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 12

@ Apti I collect tutorials for future use also, glad its useful for you.

@Pastrybaglady ‍ You have a lot of patience and talent.  I use the tylose powder with MFF, I made standing letters all fondant one time and learned my lesson. Thats amazing what you did with MMF. Don't leave Guitar Man lonely, he needs a girlfriend, then your customer (#1Fan) can have a complete set. LOL

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 12

@carolinecakes ‍ He's not lonely, he has his dog!

carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 12

Man's best friend.....and so adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%