How To - Chocolate Covered Pretzel Sticks

Lounge By carolinecakes Updated 25 Jun 2016 , 1:46pm by CTD1

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 18

I am making some chocolate covered pretzels for a moving up party. Is there a way to dry the pretzels other than laying flat on a cookie sheet or rack? Can I dry them standing so they don't have that flat back.? Has anyone done this or have any ideas? TIA!!

17 replies
herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 18

I have a spare cake dummy that I poked holes in with an undecorated pretzel stick. I then loosely line the dummy with saran wrap and stand the coated pretzels upright in the holes.

carolinecakes Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 18

That's a great idea. I'm guessing that some of the chocolate drip downs, but not too much to matter. I have not done this before, how long do they generally take to dry?

Also how should I store them, in the fridge or tupper-ware on the kitchen counter? Sorry these questions are now occurring to me as I write this.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 18

I shake the pretzels for a few seconds (maybe 15?) to remove excess chocolate and lay them on parchment lined sheet pans. They do wind up with a "flat back", but I've never had a complaint! At cool room temp they dry in about 15 minutes. I do use Mercken's candy melts. 

If you're using candy melts or tempered chocolate you can store them wrapped well at room temp. They do tend to soften if there is a lot of humidity in the air, so keep them air tight. If you're using untempered chocolate you prob should store in fridge, again airtight.

[postimage id="4318" thumb="900"]

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 18

I haven't had any issues with the candy/ chocolate migrating downward. I dip, shake off excess until the candy no longer drips off, decorate (if using sprinkles or dragees) then dry upright. I usually let them set for about 15-20 minutes or so; however long it takes me to complete a batch. By then, I can lay them down on parchment paper and start inserting the next batch of pretzels.

carolinecakes Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 18

Thank you both very much, this info is very helpful.  I have been wanting to try these for a while, now I have a reason.

@hippiecac ‍ those are pretty......you know I have to ask. What is wrapped around the pretzel to give it that shape?

hippiecac Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 18

Caramel! I call them Unicorn Horns :)

carolinecakes Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 18

AH.......love the name. Thank you.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 2:09am
post #9 of 18

these sound yummy....caramel and chocolate pretzels...I mean unicorn horns, lol. 

hippiecac Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 18

Doesn't Unicorn Horns make it sound much fancier? LMAO I love it. 

carolinecakes Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 18

The kids will get a kick out of it, when I hand them out. Who wants a Unicorn Horns? Eyes glaze over, mouths drooling........yum!!!

carolinecakes Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 18

oops and the teacher will pitch a fit at my grammar...... should say, "Who wants Unicorn Horns"

Edit not working for me.

TwoThumbs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoThumbs2 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 18

My hubby rigged up a set of clothespins (the old fashioned wooden kind) suspended from a clothes hanger that I hook on a cabinet knob. I shake, clip, and keep moving. We do it with cakepops, too.

carolinecakes Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 18

This is what I love about CCers, so many great ideas. I have those clothespins.........Thanks

hippiecac Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 18

Quote by @TwoThumbs2 on 7 minutes ago

My hubby rigged up a set of clothespins (the old fashioned wooden kind) suspended from a clothes hanger that I hook on a cabinet knob. I shake, clip, and keep moving. We do it with cakepops, too.

That's really smart!!!

TwoThumbs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoThumbs2 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 18

:) He's a smart cookie. and I think he got tired of holding things for me while they dried, haha! You'll find some of the clothespins' springs are tighter than others, the looser ones are best for the bigger pretzels so nothing gets crushed.

carolinecakes Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 18

You know I was just thinking about that. I also have some super large plastic ones, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

CTD1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTD1 Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 18

Only because I already have them, I use test tube holders.    

They're pretty inexpensive and come a a wide variety of sizes in both depth and diameter.  

@hippiecac ‍ Beautiful pretzels and such a great name!    

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%