Ribbon And Bow Advice

Decorating By Cara27 Updated 19 Jun 2016 , 7:13pm by kakeladi

Cara27 Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 11:22am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I've been asked to make a cake for a friend's baby shower. I've made a handful of cakes and been happy with them, but this is the first that someone has actively asked me to do, so I want to get it right. 

Anyway, I've came up with a 1 tier design, and would like the include ribbons and a bow the same as the cake above (credit: Emma Jayne Cake Design). I've followed a few bow tutorials before and haven't been 100% pleased with the result but I guess it's just practice, I've always put the bow on a cupcake though, and I'm feeling a bit nervous about putting it on a big cake. 

Could anyone offer any advice on working with ribbons and bows? I'm guessing I should attach the ribbons to the cake whilst soft? Should I add tylose to my fondant for the ribbons or not? The bow - am I correct in saying let it harden first and then attach it? How do I ensure its properly supported on the cake and doesn't fall off/break/crack? And should I wait until I arrive at the venue to attach the bow? The thicker ribbon pieces that form the tails of the bow - should these be made seperately?  And should they be attached when soft or hardened?

2 replies
Natka81 Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 11:43am
post #2 of 3

The bow has to be made ahead of time and dry. When you make the bow insert cake pop stick in the middle and on the back of bow. That way when it dries , you can insert bow with stick right in the cake. 

Ribbons don't have to be dry (bottom ones). Mark the place for the bow on your cake and arrange soft ribbons on cake. Later stick the bow as the last thing and little piece of ribbon on the top (which need to be dried).

kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 3

Natka gave good advice:)   Yes, it would help to add some Tylose to your  fondant for the bow.  And to help the bow stay puffy while drying, insert a toilet paper/paper towel roll.  If you don't make the bow too thick - therefore not too heavy I have just applied it w/a fair sized blob of b'cream OR a small ball of fondant.  Remember with fondant wet sticks to wet so be sure to dampen (NOT wet) the somewhat flattened ball on sides rather than using a sucker stick - either way is fine :)  If it makes you more comfortable use the stick.  If you have the time once you arrive at the venue then yes, wait to attach the bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%