Flavor Combination Help

Baking By doctorwhobaker Updated 18 Jun 2016 , 10:18am by -K8memphis

doctorwhobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doctorwhobaker Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 7

So I am making a cake for this Father's day (a cake for my family) and I need a little help figuring out what should go inbetween the layers.

I wanted to make three chocolate cakes and inbetween the layers of cake, chocolate mousse and some fresh cut strawberries.  I want something crunchy to go in the filling layers though.  My sister suggested maybe crushed up pretzels to add that sweet and salty factor but I don't know how that would taste. What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 7

hey some peeps bake off a layer of crispy meringue -- but it's shorter than a cake layer and it does soften up after a bit --

there was a trend a few years ago where entire cookies were placed in between layers -- the same size as the cake --

other than that I haven't tried a salty strawberry dessert so idk -- but of course salt goes crazy good with caramel but I think the caramel + strawberry would be too much -- but I would never stand in your way either :)

and if you decide to delete the fruit you could use toffee chips in there

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 7

y'know little chunks of chocolate would be good and for a more neutral tone to go with the berries and to add your crunch, you could use a cut up Nestle crunch bar, kit kat bar, etc

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 7

Nuts? Hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, etc...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 7

I think the pretzels would be good.  You don't want to get too many flavors together so be careful what you end up doing.

Personally I think using cookies or meringue would soften and not give the crunch you want especially if the cake is a nice moist one. 

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 18 Jun 2016 , 1:37am
post #6 of 7

Pretzels tend to go soft.

You can chop them, coat in melted choc and spread thin on wax paper almost like a bark. Chop and sprinkle in between layers. The choc helps the pretzels keep their snap. 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2016 , 10:18am
post #7 of 7

true hippiecac which made me think of chinese crunchy chow mein fried noodles in the can -- those covered in choco would be a thought similar to the pretzel idea -- they are often dipped in butterscotch coating to make hay stacks --

but still overall with the berries I think it's going in two directions -- like the dividing line is use the crunchy bits and strawberries -- one or the other--  inside or outside but not both inside 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%