How Does Craftsy Compare With Cake Central And Yummyarts

Baking By kayembee Updated 17 Jun 2016 , 3:48pm by loreen1

kayembee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayembee Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 7

I have been a member for a while but not active.  Sorry... relaxed.png  I am starting to make more cakes and hoping to work my way out of my current job when I combine it with another home business.  I am trying to decide if I should join YummyArts and Craftsy in addition to being on this site.  Would love to hear how other feel about these sites.  The fees that are paid can be written off on the business as well.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Take care!

Karen

6 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 6:21am
post #2 of 7

CakeCentral.com (CC) is an inexhaustible, free source of invaluable information.  If you can't find a topic using keywords while actually on the CC site, just type in the exact, same words in a google search and it will bring up relevant CC links you can explore.

Youtube is another fabulous, free, resource.

Although YummyArts and Craftsy are both good sites, my top recommendation is to pay $30 for a year's subscription to http://www.mycakeschool.com/   (if this link is deleted, type in without the spaces:  w w w . m y c a k e s c h o o l . c o m)   This is a great value and will allow you to learn from super-basic techniques to advanced techniques.

However, while you are working on cakes and recipes and decorating, you should also be spending a LOT of time researching the 'business' end of selling baked goods.  For many, many bakers, this is the most difficult part.    Pricing in particular is a huge problem for most newbies. 

Again, use CC's business forum and key word searches to find the information.  I strongly suggest you spend a minimum of 8 hours reading about the business side of caking, and take notes!  Also, if you are in the USA, do a google search for the closest SCORE office and find a mentor.  Talk to your Chamber of Commerce and ask where you obtain information about business licenses in your town/county/state. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 7

What she said :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 7

Also, Craftsy has a very extensive affiliate program, so when you see multiple people talking about how great this or that class is and linking to it, they're probably getting paid to send you there. I was doing reviews of Craftsy classes on my blog, and some of them are real stinkers, but I'd see people on other pages saying how great they are. So be careful and read reviews of the class on Craftsy before you pay for it. They also have sales constantly, so never buy anything full price!

kayembee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayembee Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for the input.  I have only purchased classes from Craftsy that are on sale.  Otherwise yes, they are too expensive.  It's good to know about the affiliate aspect of Craftsy.  Yes, they will make me leery of any comments I hear about the site now.  I am definitely going to check out mycakeschool and do more with YouTube.  A mentor would also be great so I plan to locate my nearest SCORE office and go from there. 

Great input and I truly appreciate it!

Karen

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 7

kayembee -- best wishes on finding info and learning more.

loreen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loreen1 Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 7

I'm a beginner decorator and I recently join Creativiu which has classes by Beth Townsend the lady that won Cake Wars. They are pretty new but the classes I have taken are amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%