Edible Metallic Gold Paint !!! Where Can I Find It!

Decorating By yjflores1 Updated 15 Jun 2016 , 8:48pm by maybenot

yjflores1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yjflores1 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 3:57am
post #1 of 8

Hi guys!!! I've seen a couple cakes here on cc and I'm super curious about edible gold paint it looks beautiful but it seems hard to achieve and find! I've used the Wilton pray but it doesn't give it that shine and deep gold look I want! Which brand do you guys recommend and where can I find this paint ! Thank you so much in advance !! 

7 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 11:55am
post #2 of 8

You can also use the edible Gold Leaf sheets.  They are expensive but to cover a large area this is the simplest way to do it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 8

Gold leaf is the only way to get a truly metallic look.The metallic paints will lose some of their shine after a day or so. The Chefmaster sprays are pretty good, so give those a try. The Wilton and Duff sprays were thinner than the Chefmaster sprays when I had some of them to compare.

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 8

This really depends on where you plan on using the gold. The majority of the really nice metallic gold paints are not edible, although they do say non-toxic. (Non-toxic does not mean it is edible!) You can use these paints on decorations that won't be eaten. Then there are nice metallic gold paints that are approved for food use in EU, AU, and Canada, but sadly not approved by the FDA in the US (yet). Basically you need to do your homework first. If there is not an ingredient listing and it's made in the US it is NOT edible. Here's a few articles I found on the subject. One from the FDA and one from Sharon Zambito  @sugarshack ‍  

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm481466.htm

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/blog/edible-vs-non-toxic-gold-dusts/

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 8

Rolkem super gold + alcohol (not US FDA approved), so for removable deco only

or

Chefmaster spray

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 8

I've used the PME sprays and thought the gold was quite good.

yjflores1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yjflores1 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you everyone I've used gold before and it wasn't FDA approved + none edible and got a perfect gold but it's NOT edible and wouldn't want to give someone a cake that would be hard to digest lol . A lot of people have requested a metallic gold But the only edible is Wilton not a true metallic gold so I need to figure this out.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 8

Gold leaf [obviously real metal and not deemed edible by the FDA] and the non-edible very metallic dusts [that look that way because they, too, contain real metals of questionable origin] are the only things that will give you a real metal look.  If people are going to eat it, then it's not what you can use.

I know that the "art" of the piece is important, but it's food and that's more important, so only edible products make up the range of useful items.

You can use edible gold airbrush liquid in combination with edible, FDA certified luster dust and get a nice finish.  I, like Leah, like the PME gold spray.  A few light coats that dry in between works very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%