Help! Italian Cream Icing Recipe Needed

Baking By Rayetta Updated 16 Jun 2016 , 12:44am by yortma

Rayetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rayetta Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 20

Hello all. I have a client who is asking for a White cake with Raspberry Filling with Italian Cream Icing. I have only every made Buttercream icing or Fondant for my cakes. Does anyone have a recipe for Italian Cream icing?

Thanks!!

19 replies
sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 20

Hi, I have one. I'll get right back to this forum.

sandeeb Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 20

Rayetta,

1    8 ounce cream cheese

1 stick butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pound of powdered sugar

1/2 cup nuts 

cream together cream cheese and butter until well mixed.

add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 pound of powdered sugar.

mix until well mixed and add nuts.

I hope this helps. 

P.S. icing may be a bit soft, then add more powdered sugar.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 20

and keep the cake cold

sandeeb Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks K8memphis. Forgot that point.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 20

I've literally never heard of Italian Cream before. Is it a regional thing? What makes it Italian? To me it looks like cream cheese frosting with nuts mixed in? Sorry, so many questions! 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 20

hippiecac -- I was always mildly curious but I never went looking till you asked -- check out the 4th paragraph and following here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/272538214929386450/

but most accounts say that the origin is unknown as does this but it does have a bit more info fwiw

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 20

btw -- it is a wonderful cake and I find it to be a little more solid/heavy than the average white cake -- but it's great

Rayetta Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 20

I need to clarify with my client exactly what they want. i got the order via email and they asked for the icing to be Italian Cream. My first thought was why would they want Cream cheese icing with nuts (with is normally reserved for Italian Cream Cake). But then I started googling and found that there is actually an icing called Italian Creme (more of a meringue like a Swiss meringu). Apparently this is very popular and standard with high end bakeries but can be tough to make I hear. I was looking for a recipe for that.

hippiecac Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 20

@Rayetta ‍, that's IMBC - Italian Meringue Buttercream 

Thanks for info @-K8memphis ‍ !

Rayetta Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 20

Ahhh...Do you have a  recipe for that?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 20

Maybe they mean Italian Meringue buttercream.  It turns out virtually the same as Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but the sugar and water are heated together to the soft ball stage and added into the whipped whites.  Here is a recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible (she calls it Mousseline buttercream).  I have made it many times with no problem, although I usually make Swiss meringue now because I find it is easier and less cleanup with virtually the same results.

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/MEANCHEF/FROSTING/Mousseline_Buttercream.html

hippiecac Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 20

At the very top of the page there is a search bar. Type "IMBC" in it - there are several recipes on the site

yortma Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 20

The link above is to Warren Brown's recipe, but it is EXACTLY the same as the one from the cake bible.  I don't know who stole it from whom!

yortma Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 20

Well, I don,t seem to be able to post the link.  Just google Rose Levy Beranbaum Mousseline Buttercream or Warren Brown's Italian Meringue Buttercream.  

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 10:41pm
post #17 of 20

then there's the Italian cream that is used for filling -- it's cream cheese, real sour cream, confectioner's sugar, more lemon juice than vanilla and then I use gelatin in it too usually -- if anyone wants to make it -- 

it'd be something like 16 oz  cream cheese, 8  oz sour cream, powdered sugar (to taste-- you don't want it super sweet just sweetened), tablespoon of lemon juice, teaspoon of vanilla or more (I use more!) and then gelatinize it if you want to -- it's optional --

i often remove the water from the sour cream either set it in a strainer or wrap it in cheesecloth suspended over a bowl so the water drains --

i know I'm a little vague here but this is well worth the effort if anyone tries it -- these simple ingredients transform into something indescribably wonderful -- seriously

Rayetta Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 11:06pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you all so much. This will be my first time making IMBC. For those who have made it, does it taste better than regular American buttercream.? It is easier to work with? I usually use the ButterCream Dream recipie for my cakes.

yortma Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 12:44am
post #19 of 20

I have never used ButterCream Dream, but compared to the powdered sugar based recipes there is no comparison.  It is delicious, but not so overly sweet, and the texture is so smooth and silky.  It is also so easy to work with.  (It does not crust).  The key is the added flavorings.   Don't be afraid to add extracts, citrus oils or even curds, and (my favorite) liqueurs to the BC.  (Melted cooled chocolate with Godiva liqueur is amazing).  You may never go back to the American buttercream except for kid's cakes once you try it!

yortma Posted 16 Jun 2016 , 12:44am
post #20 of 20

What flavor do you need?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%