Topsy Turvy Cake Construction

Decorating By Momma_bakes Updated 12 Jun 2016 , 4:21pm by -K8memphis

Momma_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momma_bakes Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all. I got a request to make a cake that is constructed like this. I know how to make the basic topsy turvy cake design but this one looks like the stand is built to have a topsy turvy style and I have never constructed a stand before. How do I do this and how do I keep the tiers in place? Any help is appreciated. [postimage id="4185" thumb="900"]

4 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 12:23am
post #2 of 5

Hi Momma, 

I am sure you know how to do this too.  

The last time I did a similar cake, I just used styrofoam wedges between the tiers.

Then you hide the wedges with flowers.  The base is just a cake drum made the same way with a wedge on it.  I hope that  helps. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

Based on the size of that cake and the size of the base board, I'll be willing to bet that it's all styrofoam. You wouldn't be able to pick that thing up on that flimsy board if it was a real cake, it would just be too heavy.

Do it the way that @CindiM ‍ suggested, but add a base board that's made from wood and has a center pole anchored to it with hardware. You'll have to figure out the height of the center pole and cover it so that the cake doesn't touch it, then cut holes in the cakes so that you can slide them onto the pole. A solidly-attached center pole (and I'm not talking about a wooden dowel, I mean a PVC pipe or something sturdy) will keep the cakes from moving around. Wilton makes a center pole cake stand that has a cake corer to pop a hole out of the center of the cake so that you can put the center stand pole through it, it's the same idea. 

And make sure to charge enough for it, it takes some time and materials to put the stand together!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 5

these are pretty complex -- your dowel go in at weird angles and for each tier it's different -- there's not one handy pattern to follow -- and yes threading the cakes onto a center dowel is important but the placement of that hole in each cake and cake board is different -- it's a center pole but the holes through the boards and the foam are off center quite a bit -- challenging but wonderful to make --

and I just used a maybe half inch wood dowel and sunk it into a good amount of foam core on the bottom hot glued it within an inch of its life --

so I had to assemble at home -- disassemble -- deliver and re-assemble -- quite messy and much double trouble work -- but I knew of no other way to get the regular dowel right kwim --

pretty sure i doweled on site as well

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 5

also that middle tier that seems to rest on its point/corner that will need to be secured I think from the tier below it so it is stable enough to hold up the rest of it -- an additional skewer that is sunk into the boards of both those tiers -- the middle tier and the tier below -- maybe through the wedges so it can't swivel -- idk you learn as you go -- but that would be a possibility to watch out for

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%