Calling All Creative Decorators! Ideas Needed For National Debate Tournament Cake

Decorating By sugarbritches Updated 12 Jun 2016 , 3:29pm by -K8memphis

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 11

I have been commission to make a cake for the high school national debate tournament hosted in our city this year.  Apparently it is tradition to serve the judges "Lincoln's favorite cake".  They provide the recipe and it's an almond cake.  The instructions given are, "it's tradition to serve it, no one really eats it, I've never seen one before, I have no opinion as to how it's decorated but here is the tournament logo if that helps".  I've tried to look up ideas online and can find NOTHING.  NOTHING!  My mind is blank.  All you creative people how would you decorate this cake if you were commissioned to do it?  The fectionist in me will not allow me to phone it in even if no one does eat it.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 11

try to post the logo again or at least describe it

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 11

here's one while I wait for logo info -- do Lincoln and Stephen Douglas debating each other --

even their profiles nose to nose or something --

you can get an edible image

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 11

i hit the wrong button --

you can get the edible image at icingimages.com

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 11

The national tournament would include both Lincoln-Douglas and Oxford (2-man teams) competitions, so if you include Lincoln and Douglas it might be a good idea to include something that's a nod to the Oxford teams.

sugarbritches Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 11

[postimage id="4159" thumb="900"]

Here's is image..

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 12:19am
post #7 of 11

Jselle, i didn't even know there were certain teams -- i just looked up who debated lincoln  :)

i think I would do the logo with two people speaking emphatically at each other on either side --

but obviously I know nothing about debating or this event -- but if the recipe is not top secret I'd like to see why it's never eaten 

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 11

You could also do the logo of the National Association.  It looks fairly easy.  Could do a skyline of Salt Lake City at the bottom.  Are you doing a sheet cake or tiers?  I'm like you though, why have cake if you are not going to eat it?  

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 11

I googled it and it's a French Almond cake. Lots of different recipes came up, but I'd probably go with the one from the White House cookbook.

It doesn't appear that it's not meant to be eaten.

sugarbritches Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 11

They better eat it! I just get the impression it's given to the judges to eat but they're busy and it's never cut and brought to them. I would eat it, the recipe looks yummy! I just don't want to do a plain sheet cake with sugar sheet logo.  Even if they don't eat it i want it to look cool!   

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 11

then do the logo cut out of cake like a numeral cake and have a person on each one with their hand in the air as if they were arguing a point -- one on the mountain one on the tower and one on the building-- or holding a megaphone or speaking into microphones --

and make the cake on a bevel where the back is taller.than the front so you get the full effect of your effort

idea for you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%