Oven Trouble

Baking By mnurlife Updated 11 Jun 2016 , 1:53am by mnurlife

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 1:31am
post #1 of 6

Hello all.  I need some help or suggestions with my oven. I recently moved and went from a gas oven to an electric.  I have used electric before and I remember it baked my desserts nicely.  Not this time around.  I have an oven thermometer and the oven is reading the right temp and I have the rack in the middle of the oven (this might be the problem).  The first time I used it I used my 8x3 inch pan with a bake even strip.  The top rose nicely then started to get darker and darker. I ended up throwing a piece of foil on top to stop it from burning,  It sunk when I tested it and was just a nightmare.  I was able to save some but not all. Thankfully it was just my own birthday cake.

The next time i used an 8x2 pan and my 8x3 with bake even strips filled with the same amount of batter.   They turned out fine with a touch of sinking. Today I used a bundt pan and also filled the cake with a coconut dark chocolate filling, no bake even strips. It rose nicely but the top started to get dark.  I put a piece of foil on it and let it bake a little longer. I tested it to see if it was done and it cake out clean, but I did notice one section that didn't cook all the way through. Also the inner sides of the cake  (the middle around the open hole) set up nice but are very light in color but almost seem like it could have used a little longer. The sides of the cake turned out nicely.

I am not sure what to do. I enjoy making cakes but I'm not sure of the next steps to take.   Should I lower the oven temp 25 degrees or lower the rack or do both?  I do use a doctored cake mix and I never seemed to have problems until I started using  this oven.  Any suggestions/help would be great and much appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Matt

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 7:18am
post #2 of 6

Definitely lower the rack, if that's enough you're good. If it's still too brown lower your temp.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 6

I recently switched from gas to electric and I'm still not happy with how the oven bakes.  It's level, the temps are accurate, but my cake still don't bake as well, or as quickly as they did in the  gas oven.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 6

when I have to arm wrestle with my ovens and cakes like this -- I let the cake bake up at 350 then usually 20 -25 degrees at a time lowering the temp until I know it's done -- 

because once the outside gets baked -- that heat helps finish baking the inside -- right -- so it's just a see saw  ping pong type thing -- and even though I'm lowering the oven temp I'm careful to not open the ove door too much -- I always use timers

that's how I do it -- and yes the foil on top and keep the foil on after finally pulling it out 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

My ex was an appliance repairman and he insisted heat was heat no matter the fuel.  Having used gas and electric at different times I feel electric seems to bake better overall.  (OH how I hate to say that as overall I don't like electric cooking!) It just will take some getting used to and finding exactly what is the best temp setting for your appliance.  Many of them have 'hot spots'.  

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 1:53am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help and advice.  It's so frustrating when you put so much time into something and it doesn't seem to come out right at all.  I'm going to keep messing around with it.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the bigger pans also.  I will have to keep you all posted the next time I bake a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%