German Buttercream?

Baking By Natiflor09 Updated 9 Jun 2016 , 5:53pm by Natiflor09

Natiflor09 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

I got this article in an email this morning and had never heard of it before. Has anyone ever made German Buttercream?

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2016/05/german-buttercream-recipe/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20Craftsy%20Cake%20Decorating%20Blog&utm_content=Giveaway%21%20Win%20a%20Custom%20Mystery%20Box%20for%20You%20%2B%20a%20Friend&utm_term=Blog%20Post&skipMod=1

I'm thinking of trying it for cake fillings instead of pastry cream. I was in a craft fair last week and made this scrumptious vanilla cake with orange pastry cream and fresh strawberries...and it was kind of a disaster. All was perfectly fine until I pre sliced one or two slices to make packaging quicker and the transaction easier. Well the layers started falling over and the middle started looking a tres leches cake!! Big mess lol! Luckily the whole cake sold out and everyone was very happy..except me hahaha because I witnessed the whole thing. Now i remember why we always used sponge cakes with pastry cream fillings  ;-P

Anywhoo I'll probably get around to it in a week or two but was curious to know if anyone else has made this before and how you like it

4 replies
julia1812 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 5

I am not a big fan of German/Bavarian buttercream because the custard contains raw egg yolks and is not very stable (okay as a filling though). But would not wanna take the risk of someone getting sick from salmonella :/

Natiflor09 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 5

Huh..i must have misread. I was sure the egg yolks were cooked. Well regardless I'd probably adapt that part of the recipe to make sure they are cooked

julia1812 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 5

They are cooked to a custard or pastry cream. But as they are very sensitive to heat - and you don't want scrambled eggs - you can't heat them to a point where you can be sure that any salmonella bacteria is killed. 

Natiflor09 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

Ok i just double checked. The egg yolks are cooked

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%