Customers

Baking By dania27 Updated 10 Jun 2016 , 2:07am by dania27

dania27 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 8:54am
post #1 of 10

Today I had a customer come in into my shop she wanted me to do a cake for Saturday, fso told her because it was a last min. Order she has to pay in full i charged her $50 a #1 cake with smash cake she was recomended by one of my customers

So she comes and let her try my cake one vanilla and one strawberry she looks at me and says the cake does not taste like homemade wtf??? So i supposed to make a cake for $50 dollars taste like homemade when i don't have any complains on my cake i use milk, butter, and flavoring on my cake and I am a custome cake designer.

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 11:34am
post #2 of 10

The customers who wait until the last minute are generally the ones who think the world should stop for them, so you won't win with them a lot of the time. Some of them are grateful that they could get anything at the last minute, but others just complain because they like to complain. She might have been mad that she had to pay up front or whatever. Don't take it personally. Maybe her homemade cake tastes like poop so that's what she's used to ;)

Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 10

Most people think "homemade" is a box cake. If yours is scratch it's not what she thinks it should taste like. Did you ever see the cake challenge with Ron Ben Israel vs. a slap together box mix. Every single person tested said they liked the box cake because "Homemade wins every time". It's very disheartening for those of us who bake from scratch, but it is what it is...

dania27 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 10

Lol thanks for your guys encouraging respond i have been baking for 6 years and i started baking by scratch but for me it cost so i baked with mix and I add my own little secrets. I just believe she wanted me to make the stawberrie cake homemade but she would have to pay $75 and I don't think she would have. I get mad. And disappointed with the lack of knowledged customers have about custom cake. I wonder if she goes to wal mart and ask that question.

Apti Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 10

@Pastrybaglady   I would love to see that cake challenge with Ron Ben Israel and box cakes "winning".  Do you have any idea of a link?

Also, people like what they have grown up tasting!  That's why Americans aren't crazy about fruit cake or Korean kimchi, the list goes on and on.  Americans have grown up with box mixes since the 1950's.  Box mixes are like McDonald's food; they are consistent and reliable and taste the same EVERY time because of all the commercially added emulsifiers and leaveners and, until very recently, trans-fats. 

As a hobby baker, I nearly always use a Duncan Hines box mix as my dry ingredient base, THEN add the extra stuff that really elevates the flavor.  People love my cakes and say they "taste" better than any other cakes because they are "obviously" homemade.  I freely share my recipes and tell anyone who asks that I use a box mix as my dry ingredient base and then improve from that point.

There is a new cake store chain in the USA called "Nothing Bundt Cakes".  I think it is marketing genius since it actually makes the customer want a less decorated cake that is super fast to produce and package.  I've tasted 4 of their flavors and they are all fabulous.   Guess what?  They use a proprietary, secret, box mix. 

Apti Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry, clicked before I was through (ooops...).   I also have a couple of scratch recipes that are wonderful.    Both the doctored/modified box mixes and scratch mixes take about the same time to prepare. 

Since the cake mix manufacturer's started shrinking the amount of cake mix in a box (from a 50 year size of 18.5 ounces to smaller and smaller, 15.5 ounces...) a LOT of people who use doctored mixes have begun the search for scratch recipes so they'll have a recipe that can be trusted no matter what the manufacturers do with quantity of mix. 

Apti Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 10

THANKS!

littlejewel Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 12:29am
post #9 of 10

Some people believe that cake shop equals homemade cake. For years my mother and I  thought the same, until I started seriously baking. There is nothing wrong with box mixes, and I wouldn't consider changing that for one customer.

dania27 Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 2:07am
post #10 of 10

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%