Selling At Markets In The Uk

Business By louglou Updated 5 Jul 2016 , 8:56pm by louglou

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 8 Jun 2016 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking of selling cakes in the UK but am a bit unsure where to go. My idea was to sell bitesize cake squares that you can pick and mix in a selection box. 

There seems to be 2 extremes in terms of markets (car boot sales vs farmers markets) with not a lot in between. The farmers markets sell niche products at high prices but you have to source local ingredients which bump up the cost a lot. The car boot sales sell for a lot less and the cakes are a lot less fancy. Is there some middle ground that I haven't found yet?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

4 replies
sugar-gardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-gardener Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 5

Hello,

I work for a bakery and we sell at farmer's markets, not car boots. The other place we sell at is rural shows. Whereabouts are you based? Shows are good because you aren't committed to a long stretch of markets, but on the other hand you can build up a good loyal customer base if you are at the same place same time every month. Good luck with the venture! 

louglou Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for replying sugar-gardener. I had a look at my local car boot in Leeds and it's definitely not the right place for fancy cakes. (Though I did manage to buy myself a pair of jeans for £1.50!)

I've since found lots of local fetes and charity events on stallfinder.com. I hope they'll give me a good idea of whether my idea is workable. Just waiting to hear if there are any places available.

How do you source local ingredients without blowing your budget?

sugar-gardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-gardener Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

I hadn't heard of "Stall finder", so thanks for that! Love your cakes by the way, just had a look at your pics. We source local free range eggs from a nearby farm. There is a company called Bako and another called BFP (but I think it's just been taken over and the name might have changed) that sell wholesale flour and sugar. They are Northern based. I love car boots but I do go looking for a bargain too! 

louglou Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you. I'm not planning on selling the carved and decorated cakes on my profile. They are just labours of love for my family and a few friends. Local eggs would be a good idea and wholesale if this takes off. 

Watch this space...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%