Help!! Birthday Party Got Rescheduled. How Long Will My Decorated Cake Last?

Baking By tdenham Updated 5 Jun 2016 , 2:32pm by ElizabethsCakeCreations

tdenham Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so my son's birthday party was supposed to be today (Saturday), but we are having severe storms and we've had to postpone until next Saturday. His cake is red velvet, and iced in dark red cream cheese icing. It has an edible image on it and also gum paste decorations. I know I can't put it in the fridge because of the edible image and gum paste. Will it last, sitting on my counter in a cool house (70 degrees) until next Saturday??

9 replies
tdenham Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 10

The cake was baked, iced, and decorated yesterday.

ZabielskiG Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 10

Yikes! I wouldn't leave that out on the counter for a week, especially considering the cream cheese frosting. Regardless of that though, my family would never let a cake survive a week in our house

hippiecac Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 10

No, I wouldn't risk it. Can you remove the edible image and gumpaste pieces and freeze it? 

kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 10

No way :(  I would not even keep it in the frig that long.

It's been forever since I have used an edible image but I don't see why you cannot freeze it.  I've actually have frozen a cake w/fondant/gp trimmings and it was fine. 

tdenham Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 10

Ugh! That's what I was afraid of. I was just REALLY hoping. LOL! I can't remove the image or the gumpaste. I've never frozen a cake, but I was thinking if I put it in the freezer, once I pull it out to thaw will it not sweat or have condensation? I figured that would destroy the image.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 10

Keep it, don't eat it, serve matching cupcakes and display cake as dummy

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 10

ooh, elizabethscc, perfect happy ending

maybenot Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 10

Box the cake in a cardboard box. Wrap the box in several layers of saran wrap and a layer of foil. Place in freezer.  24 hrs. b/4 serving, place wrapped box in refrigerator.  Several hours before serving place wrapped box on counter to come to room temp.  Right b/4 serving, remove cake.  There will be no condensation-it will have gone to the box and made it damp--and the cake will look and taste like fresh made.

These are my general instructions for freezing a completely decorated cake.  Now, I also advise that gum paste items be removed and stored at room temp and be re-placed right before serving, but if that's not possible, I can't guarantee those pieces 100%.  Because of the drying gums, they may also act like the cardboard and attract the moisture.  I just don't know.  If they're stand-up pieces, they may, indeed sag.

Either way, let us know what you do.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks, my nephews party never happened. He was sick the day of, so that was the plan. It was Easter shortly after so I brought the cake and we looked at it lol not the same but at least all that work is appreciated 

Quote by @%username% on %date%