Weight Of Cake

Business By Lovescakesme Updated 6 Jun 2016 , 7:42pm by sewsugarqueen

Lovescakesme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovescakesme Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 6

Evening ladies,

i have just got an order come in and i have been asked what the weight of the cake is...why does this matter to people?

the lady wants a cake for 25 people, would a 10" cake not be enough if cut into party slices? 

5 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 6

I might be wrong about this but in some regions they price cake by the pound. The Dominican Bakeries here in NY sell their cakes this way. While in the US cakes are sold based on serving size or a base rate in some cases. HTH

A 10" cake will give 21 servings (2"x2")  or 28 servings (1.5"x2"). The latter is  from the wilton guide which some people find too small.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 4:37am
post #3 of 6

Ordering cake by weight is quite common here (sigh!). Never figured what that is all about....wondering if they also order burger by weight LOL!

But very generally 2 kg cake is an 8".  Since a cake serving is anything between 80 and 120g I figured I don't go wrong with that as an 8" is serving around 16/24 people (depending on how big you cut the pieces).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 4:50am
post #4 of 6

How many servings you will get out of a round will depend on how tall it is.  Are you making a 10x4R?  That can serve up to 30.  Do not let them tell you what a serving size should be - YOU tell them using the Wilton chard for 'wedding servings;.  If the cake is only 2" tall then the serving size should be 2x2x1 1/2.  In that case the 10"x2" will only serve about 12-15.  YOU tell the customer how many servings a size yields and they pay for a whatever size needed.  Don't let them say a certain size is not big enough.  All canned goods/boxed food etc say how many servings it holds - you don't get to tell the manufacturer oh that won't serve enough we like big servings.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 9:38am
post #5 of 6

"...why does this matter to people?"

Because that's the way she always used to order her cake. You have to reeducate your customers about that. They tell you how many guests they expect and you ask how big they would like to cut their servings. There is nothing wrong with wanting bigger servings...Some cut 2x2 for a 4" high tier and some want petit slices. It only becomes a bit tricky if it's a carved cake like a car or a teddy or so. But even then you can ask them. It's like ordering a kiddies plate in a restaurant or the extra plate on the side. And for you it's also easy as fiddling around with weight of a cake is a pain.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 6

I think she might want to display cake on something and you would need to know weight for what type of support to put under the cake.  My friend on the weekend tried putting a 2 tier wedding cake on top of a covered thin woven basket... We almost lost the cake.   so found heavier stuff to support cake and tablecloths covered it.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%