How Do You Plan Your Cakes? And Looking For Advice On Mmf.

Decorating By KStreet2013 Updated 11 Jun 2016 , 12:22pm by jchuck

KStreet2013 Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 15

Good Morning!! 

I'm just curious how everyone goes about planning their cake "schedule". Do you do alot in advance which makes one cake take several days or do you do things all in say two days? My cake calendar for the summer is filling up fast and I just want to make sure that I am making the most of my time without completely wearing myself out in the process.

Typically for me, and I am still VERY new at this (about 1 1/2 years under my apron), I have been trying to spread it over 2-3 days depending on what I'm working with.  For example, if my cake is for Saturday,

Thursday - I would make the buttercream and/or Fondant (MMF),

Also my question on the MMF is this: What can I do to give it more stretch? I've been making from scratch from the beginning

Friday - I would bake the cakes and do any make ahead decorations that I could.

Saturday, I would put everything together, making a HUGE mess of my kitchen at the same time. (husband LOVES that)

I am just kind of wondering if there is a more efficient way that might make things go more smoothly or just less chaotic on the "delivery" date.

Also my question on the MMF is this: What can I do to give it more stretch? I've been making from scratch from the beginning because I don't like the taste of store bought (and it's SOOOO expensive), and it works nicely except for the holes I inevitably end up with. It's fine as I roll it out and cover the cake, but when I'm smoothing it down, I inevitably end up with a tear or cracks. So how do I give it a little more stretch without ruining the fondant?  Any thoughts or advice on these topics wouldbe awesome! Thanks in advance!

14 replies
jselle Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 15

KStreet2013, I usually make my MMF a day or two ahead of time and then mix it with an equal part of purchased fondant (I have easiest access to Wilton, so that's typically what I use, and when it's fresh it has good elasticity). This gives me a fondant that tastes better than when it's straight out of the package but with a good amount of elasticity. I live in a very humid climate, so others might have different suggestions as well, but this works for me.

costumeczar Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 1:12am
post #3 of 15

I bake Thursday, decorate Friday, deliver Saturday. I wouldn't leave things until the day of delivery, that's cutting it too close and not leaving any time for emergencies!

cutiger Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 11:26am
post #4 of 15

I always try to have everything completed a day ahead of time.  That leaves me time to fix mistakes, etc.  I live in a very humid area and buttercream takes much longer to crust.  I have found that each layer needs to crust or it will just melt and slide off the cake.   

arlenej Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 15

I do a sketch/have a definite idea of what I want to do. Make all flowers, toppers etc ahead so they have time to dry. Bake cake, fill, crumb coat, put in fridge to chill for an hour, then finish decorating all in one day (preferably the day before due). For me what's important is the pre-made stuff. And I always have extra so I can do emergency cakes without breaking a sweat...I still charge a 'last minute' fee though.!

CakesbyGeorge Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 15

I bake all my cakes on Tuesday and freeze overnight.  Wednesday, I make my icing, fill and crumbcoat all my cakes and let thaw and settle.  Thursday I make more icing if needed and ice all the cakes.  I begin decorating on Thursday and finish up on Friday.  Saturday is delivery day for weddings.

Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 15

I definitely spread it out over the week and try to finish the day/night before. The times I've had too much to do or too many orders and couldn't finish the night before have not been good. The doorbell rings and I'm still futzing - not good! Plus when you're rushing you forget to do all the details you planned.

To get more stretch in your fondant add a little glycerin, it makes a huge difference!

bakingwife Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 15

I used to do the same! It was too stressful when I couldn't finish in time!

My new timeline is to make my fondant at the beginning of the week, bake on Wednesday, make buttercreams/fillings on Thursday. Fill, crumb coat and cover in fondant (usually done early on in the day) finish decorating that night into early Saturday morning. 

This also depends on the design and size of the cakes. If the cakes are highly detailed I make the decorations at the beginning of the week either Monday or Tuesday. If It's a 3+ tiered cake or more I start baking on Tuesday. I freeze my cakes well wrapped in plastic wrap and foil, I start stacking them straight from the freezer. They are easier to handle and help set my SMBC quickly.

SweetyGirl Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 12:57am
post #9 of 15

Please tell me if this sounds like a good plan.  I am a hobbyist whose last fondant cake was a year ago.  My daughter wants me to copy this cake  

From Pinterest:

Sunday - Make Rice Krispue Treat figure  

Monday - sculpt, cover with fondant and spray with Wilton Color Mist; Cover a cake form with fondant; make thin royal icing

Tuesday - bake cakes, cool and wrap for overnight; practice the decorating method on the form

Wednesday - make icing, filling; fill and ice cake  

Thursday - cover and smooth fondant on both tiers

Friday - decorate, stack

Saturday - deliver

SweetyGirl Posted 7 Jun 2016 , 1:19am
post #10 of 15

I am bumping this up in hopes someone sees my above post and can answer it.

bakingwife Posted 8 Jun 2016 , 5:22am
post #11 of 15

Your timeline looks good you're giving yourself enough time to finish each task. Definitely make the paint brushes and topper on Sunday out of gumpaste to give them enough time to dry. As far as making the rkt that soon it might be tricky if you're planning on eating it, mainly because rtk is good the night before/day of any longer they stale very quickly and do not taste as good. 

SweetyGirl Posted 8 Jun 2016 , 5:40am
post #12 of 15

Thanks. I am already in the week of the event so I have made the "paint can." I am a tad bit behind but I will be able to catch up tomorrow. I appreciate your input very much!

KStreet2013 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. I do get stressed when I'm finishing things the day of delivery, so I think I will do as suggested and try to make sure it's complete the night before. That way I have time if anything needs futzing with... thanks again!

olive76 Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 5:25am
post #14 of 15

I follow a similar schedule as krazy Kool cakes, I make mmf on Monday and buttercream on tuesday, the rest is the same. I've found that adding about 10-12 melted candy melts to my melted marshmallows (before adding powdered sugar) helps my fondant stay elastic. I use a the 10oz bag of marshmallows with 5-6 cups of powdered sugar and 2 T water. And I use powdered sugar instead of cornstarch to keep it from sticking to my mat when I roll it out, I think know that helps keep it from cracking too.900_how-do-you-plan-your-cake_763254575ba0d114210.png

jchuck Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 12:22pm
post #15 of 15

Ok, I'm retired now, but when I was working full time I baked my cakes as much as a month ahead. Labeled, well wrapped and froze them. This saves soooo much time. And they are moister after freezing. Took out night before I was to decorate, and placed on the counter, wrapped, to thaw. I use Liz Marek"s (Artisan Cakes)  fondant recipe. Never fail. I made double or triple batches of fondant and froze in 2 lb batches. Freezes great. Ditto my buttercream. Made several batches and either froze or refridgerated. Usually took out Wed night. Thursday crumb coat, civer in bc or ganache. Friday decorate for delivery Saturday. If I had gumpaste elements, of course, they were made a week or two in advance. Usually at night. Anything you can do ahead of time relieves a lot of stress.

Quote by @%username% on %date%