Question About Ice Cream Recipes (Kind Of)

Baking By Uvabunchies Updated 6 Jun 2016 , 2:23pm by hippiecac

Uvabunchies Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 8:58am
post #1 of 9

I know this is a baking forum/website and, I guess, ice cream doesn't really fall under that category but this is the only place I could think of to ask this question.  I have an ice cream machine and have made ice cream before but that was plain, simple ice cream and I want to try something a little more adventurous.  I want to make swirled ice cream but I have no idea as to how to do it.  I've tried google but everything I can find is for, like, swirling a lot of ice cream type A into ice cream type B so it's like half of each and you can really tell it's swirled.  What I'm thinking is only a little bit of swirling.  The best way I can describe the kind of swirl is by comparing it to the Baskin Robbins chocolate peanut butter ice cream - it's got a chocolate base with small hardened peanut butter pieces mixed in and that's what I want.  I want a base color and then like an accent color, not two base colors.  If clarification is needed on what I'm looking for, I'm happy to try and clarify it or explain it better/more but I'd really appreciate any advice or links that might help.  Thanks in advance!

8 replies
cakebaby2 Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 11:19am
post #2 of 9

I make ice c am quite a bit. You soften your ice cream then swirl in your flavour   

cakebaby2 Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 11:24am
post #3 of 9

Then refreeze, sorry my comp is playing up. I make a chocolate custard one, soften it enough to allow me to swirl in crushed oreo's cookies or peanut brittle...the choice is yours then simply refreeze. hope that's what you meant? I sometimes do layers of this on a biscuit base in a cake tin, cover it in ganache and refreeze. Makes a nice dessert, like a frozen gateau.

cakebaby2 Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 11:32am
post #4 of 9

Thought of another, slightly softened vanilla ice cream crushed meringue pieces and raspberry puree...Eton Mess!

simple syrup with white rum and crushed mint leaves coconut ice cream..mojito anyone lol

Uvabunchies Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 11:41am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the tips!  I'm not actually talking about adding in like custards or peanut brittle or cookies crumbs in it.  I only used the baskin robbins chocolate peanut butter ice cream as an example because it has a ribbon of peanut butter in, like, 25% of all the ice cream, but it's not because I actually want pieces in my ice cream. I want it to be smooth ice cream only but what I'm looking for is how to swirl two smooth ice creams together with only little ribbons in a few parts of the ice cream. Like, for example, I want ice cream that is pink to be most of the ice cream but I want ribbons of yellow ice cream throughout.

hippiecac Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 9

Make small batch of yellow ice cream, transfer to piping bag & freeze. While churning pink ice cream, take yellow out of freezer to soften. Spread some pink in container, pipe ribbon of yellow. Layer pink and yellow as desired. Freeze until hard. 

cakebaby2 Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 9

Yes I see what you mean a Mr Whippy? The piping bag sounds the way to go.

Uvabunchies Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the instructions, hippie!

hippiecac Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%