A Couple Questions About Finishing This Cake.

Decorating By Kaite09 Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 3:28pm by Kaite09

Kaite09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaite09 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 4

[postimage id="4060" thumb="900"]

I'm making a 3 tiered cake for my grandmother's birthday based on the cake pictured, covered in fondant. I will have to travel with it so have decided to assemble the whole thing when I get to the destination. However, that is going to cause a problem with the drip effect. I'm going to have to individually drip the ganache on each layer as opposed to doing it while stacked. Once assembled, I'll then do a beaded border around the layer to hide the fondant edge. I know that I am going to have a hard time matching the frosting for the borders to the fondant color. 

A few questions:

Would a dark chocolate border look okay, or any other suggestions?  And should that be buttercream or royal icing?

For the fruit, how should I make it stick? If I would have stacked it at home, I would apply the fruit while the ganache was hardening. I'm most worried about the blueberries rolling around whenever someone touches the cake.

I'm honestly probably worrying about this more than I should be, It's for all family or family friends, they're not going to care. But, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. 

3 replies
hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 4

I would do a small bead border in white, either royal or buttercream. Attach the fruit with tiny dabs of ganache. Once it sets it won't roll. 

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 4

to clarify: bring a little extra ganache with you, heat it up and use it like glue to attach the fruit. 

Kaite09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaite09 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you. I figured that is what you meant. My brain didn't even realize I could get a whiter icing with royal icing instead of trying to whiten the buttercream . I'm doing a test cake in a couple weeks, so will be sure to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%