A Couple Questions About Finishing This Cake.

Decorating By Kaite09 Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 3:28pm by Kaite09

Kaite09 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a 3 tiered cake for my grandmother's birthday based on the cake pictured, covered in fondant. I will have to travel with it so have decided to assemble the whole thing when I get to the destination. However, that is going to cause a problem with the drip effect. I'm going to have to individually drip the ganache on each layer as opposed to doing it while stacked. Once assembled, I'll then do a beaded border around the layer to hide the fondant edge. I know that I am going to have a hard time matching the frosting for the borders to the fondant color. 

A few questions:

Would a dark chocolate border look okay, or any other suggestions?  And should that be buttercream or royal icing?

For the fruit, how should I make it stick? If I would have stacked it at home, I would apply the fruit while the ganache was hardening. I'm most worried about the blueberries rolling around whenever someone touches the cake.

I'm honestly probably worrying about this more than I should be, It's for all family or family friends, they're not going to care. But, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. 

3 replies
hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 4

I would do a small bead border in white, either royal or buttercream. Attach the fruit with tiny dabs of ganache. Once it sets it won't roll. 

hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 4

to clarify: bring a little extra ganache with you, heat it up and use it like glue to attach the fruit. 

Kaite09 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you. I figured that is what you meant. My brain didn't even realize I could get a whiter icing with royal icing instead of trying to whiten the buttercream . I'm doing a test cake in a couple weeks, so will be sure to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%