Dessert Buffet/sweets Table Ideas??

Decorating By Mamalynseyloo Updated 5 Jun 2016 , 3:41pm by sewsugarqueen

Mamalynseyloo Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:13am
post #1 of 10

Can I get some suggestions on what to offer as options for a dessert buffet/sweets table (whichever you call it)??  Ive only been to parties with a candy bar, as in just a bunch of packaged store bought candy (m&ms, skittles, hersheys kisses etc) and Im only getting photos rather than ideas when I search.  Im doing a cake for the party, as well as the desserts and need to think of some options.  Preferably ones I can make a few days in advance, as I'll be focused on the cake at the last minute.  Thanks!

9 replies
tippyad Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 10

Decorated marshmallow pops, chocolate covered pretzels rods, granola cups, fruit kebabs etc.  Use different height bowls and platters to create interest.  I like having salty things at the table too for added interest.  Hope some of these ideas help.  

SandraAlicante Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 10

Turkish Delight, nougat, fudge,  fondant fancies, sheet cheesecake, millionaires shortbread, chocolate mousse.

ropalma Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10

Cake Pops, Chocolate covered strawberries

Apti Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 10

Mamalynseyloo, what is your geographic location?  If you can locally purchase clear, 4 ounce and/or 6 ounce souffle cups and a separate package of clear lids, these containers make wonderful, "make-ahead" and transportation containers for a party.  

Pudding cups (tiny tasting spoons are cute if you can find them, but the pudding cups are ok with regular spoons.)

Nut cups

Chocolate dipped cookies.

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/531

As mentioned by tippyad above:  Chocolate covered pretzels.  (You can match the party color scheme with candy melt colors that could be drizzled on the pretzels) --

Large marshmallows dipped in chocolate and drizzled with chocolate

Graham crackers dipped in chocolate and then dipped in Heath bar crunchies or nuts or sprinkles.

(NOTE on things dipped in chocolate:  I always leave a part of the cookie/marshmallow/pretzel UN-dipped so the guest is able to pick the item up and eat it without getting chocolate on their fingers)

Make little cake cups that go with the cake by using the cake scraps.  Place cake scrap (or half a cupcake) in the bottom of the cup/ filling/frosting.  Top with a candy that matches the party color scheme.

All of the above can be made ahead and left in your home at temperatures that don't exceed 80F.  You could then use store bought candies for the bright/contrast colors in clear vases or jars with a scoop so the guests can fill a 2- to 4-ounce souffle cup with their choices.  The store-bought candy vases will give visual interest and punches of color to your other desserts and offer some non-chocolate options.

Buy or make bunting flags and hang on the table and/or behind the table.  Examples:

900_dessert-buffetsweets-tab_75603657508c200b6f1.jpg

Apti Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 1:02am
post #6 of 10

Oh!  and rice krispy treats with sprinkles in them to match party colors.

Mamalynseyloo Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:25am
post #7 of 10

@Apti ‍ Wow are you thorough!  Im in New York and Im sure I can find those with no problem.  You had basically all the same thoughts I did and I would definitely do a section of the treat that was exposed for no messy fingers!

Quote by @Apti on 9 hours ago

Mamalynseyloo, what is your geographic location?  If you can locally purchase clear, 4 ounce and/or 6 ounce souffle cups and a separate package of clear lids, these containers make wonderful, "make-ahead" and transportation containers for a party.  

Pudding cups (tiny tasting spoons are cute if you can find them, but the pudding cups are ok with regular spoons.)

Nut cups

Chocolate dipped cookies.

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/531

As mentioned by tippyad above:  Chocolate covered pretzels.  (You can match the party color scheme with candy melt colors that could be drizzled on the pretzels) --

Large marshmallows dipped in chocolate and drizzled with chocolate

Graham crackers dipped in chocolate and then dipped in Heath bar crunchies or nuts or sprinkles.

(NOTE on things dipped in chocolate:  I always leave a part of the cookie/marshmallow/pretzel UN-dipped so the guest is able to pick the item up and eat it without getting chocolate on their fingers)

Make little cake cups that go with the cake by using the cake scraps.  Place cake scrap (or half a cupcake) in the bottom of the cup/ filling/frosting.  Top with a candy that matches the party color scheme.

All of the above can be made ahead and left in your home at temperatures that don't exceed 80F.  You could then use store bought candies for the bright/contrast colors in clear vases or jars with a scoop so the guests can fill a 2- to 4-ounce souffle cup with their choices.  The store-bought candy vases will give visual interest and punches of color to your other desserts and offer some non-chocolate options.

Buy or make bunting flags and hang on the table and/or behind the table.  Examples:

900_dessert-buffetsweets-tab_75603657508

Mamalynseyloo Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:26am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the ideas y'all!  I was kinda thinking on the same lines but thought maybe someone might come up with something I hadnt thought of! 

Limpy Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 10

I am doing a dessert table in a few months & got all my ideas from Pinterest. The best site EVER for ideas. My theme is all things pink. So far I have chosen  pink candies in martini glasses ( plastic, from the dollar store), pink cake pops, pink French macarons, pink popcorn, pink lemonade cheesecake, pink fudge, pink royal icing covered cookies and the centerpiece, a white cake covered in pink SMBC.

Except for the cake, all items will be small so that guests can try more than one. I am also having bunting and pink balloons. I think it is more visual if you choose a single colour. Am also using from the dollar store, chalkboard signs to identify items.

sewsugarqueen Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 10

mini eclairs iced in a colour, mini size brownies or bars  avoid sticky or totally covered chocolate stuff... gets very messy.Mini tart shells filled with mousse and fruit.  Icebox cookies in swirl patterns _colours to go with theme

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%