Would You Have Done It? Try #2

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 9:59pm by Webake2gether

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

So someone wanted a cake like this, but with a camo t-shirt with a hunting and fishing logo. I quoted $175, to feed 25-30. She said could I do something similar for $100. I politely declined. Would any of you have done it?[postimage id="4047" thumb="900"]

7 replies
SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

Only you know how long it would take and what your actual costs would be. As long as you worked out if it would be profitable for you and the answer was 'no' then you made the right decision. The other thing of course, is that it may  have started a price war with your customers if one says ' I got her to do it cheaper' then you can bet they will all try!

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

I suppose your right. To me it wasn't worth it for $100. I politely referred her to a few other bakeries. One that I know does great work, and the other that seems to do cakes for cheap. Ibe wondered about how they can do for so cheap when we aren't supposed to undercut anyone.....

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 8

Supposed to and actually do, is unfortunately the issue.  Cheap cake people love the adulation and are likely not running on any real business sense. Compliments and any money in hand often makes it all OK.  The saddest part I find is that as often as not, they are providing a good looking product.   So that sets the bar even lower on pricing. I know that many here blame it on CFO.  I think that while CFO businesses may flood the market a bit with availability, most that I know are not undercharging.  In my area, even with CFO availability, the cheap cake peeps are illegal cakers. And the consumer does not care if their caker is legal or not., cheap is king!  This is why I offer a range of products, and sell my pine line items far more than cake. 

Quote by @joeyww12000 on 22 minutes ago

I suppose your right. To me it wasn't worth it for $100. I politely referred her to a few other bakeries. One that I know does great work, and the other that seems to do cakes for cheap. Ibe wondered about how they can do for so cheap when we aren't supposed to undercut anyone.....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 8

I wouldn't have done it for $100...

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8

*oops pie not pine..lol. Darn post would not allow me to edit it.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 8

I don't get what the customer was looking for when she asked for "something similar for $100".  Did she want the slices to be 40% smaller?! Lol people make me laugh...

I think  you did the right thing by declining to do it. Let her go bargain hunting elsewhere!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 8

We wouldn't have done it for $100 no way no how and on a side note I do not like  body part cakes at all (baby bottoms, belly cakes etc) so I would have gladly passed on doing a cake with boobs haha ;)

i always ask for a budget  especially when people come to us with reference pictures like that bc 9 times out of 10 their actual budget is not in line with the cake they want. Saves times in doing quotes bc you would have known ahead of time you couldn't accomplish that cake with her budgeted amount. I even have a budget box on my order request form and I love it when I see people list everything under the sun and then in the budget box it says $40  makes my reply email  easy and quick. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%