Does Anyone Know...

Decorating By stephdover4 Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 5:04am by stephdover4

stephdover4 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 25

Does anyone know where  I can find the mold used on this cake or what its called?

Thank you in advance,

Stephanie900_does-anyone-know_856330574f232d3ffc9.jpg

24 replies
Nancylou Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 25

WOW ...that's gorgeous. 

Sorry, I have nothing more to add.  I just want to follow this thread, because I also want to know.

hippiecac Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 25

Here's a link to the source, maybe she can help you locate the mold

http://www.torteditoni.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=91018833

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 25

If you cannot fine a mold you can get a very similar look by impressing fabric lace into fondant then cut along the top 

MBalaska Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 12:19am
post #5 of 25

I've spent a lot of frivolous time looking at silicone molds like that and it does not look familiar.  The closest that I can see in the design are some that @costumeczar ‍ has in her collection.

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 1:58am
post #6 of 25

I've seen that one before, let me look around...

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 2:31am
post #7 of 25

No luck...I was thinking that it came from a company that went out of business years ago, but I couldn't find it in their catalog that I've packratted away. I've either seen the mold or the lace, though.

810whitechoc Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 2:41am
post #8 of 25

Quote by @MBalaska on 1 hour ago

I've spent a lot of frivolous time looking at silicone molds like that and it does not look familiar.  The closest that I can see in the design are some that @costumeczar ‍ has in her collection.

Haha MB know what you are talking about, I have spent way too much frivolous time checking out silicone molds

stephdover4 Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 4:01am
post #9 of 25

Thank you all for your time trying to help me!!  I did message the lady that made this cake but no luck yet. Many people have asked where this came from in the past but there aren't any responses from her.  I found a Lisa Pavelka "tooled leather" mat that would work for rhe look i want but I don't think it would be food safe. Ugh..don't you just hate it when you fall in love with something you just can't have...lol!! I'm going to go on a search for the lace I guess, no telling what rabbit hole I'll end up in!!

Thanks again!

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 12:12pm
post #10 of 25

I swear I've seen ti somewhere before...I'll be looking for it today too, since it's bothering me now, hahaha!

carolinecakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 25

Global PA.F Mold

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018D6LW5Y/?tag=cakecentral-20

I first saw this on a chalice cake and fell in lust.....

SandraAlicante Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 25

There are loads of nice ones around. Ali Express has a lot... very cheap too, if you will get use out of them.  Has anyone tried making their own from actual lace?

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 25

I found the mold in an old Pfeil and Holing catalog but it's not listed on their website anymore. You could call them to find out who originally made it, their phone number is 800-247-7955. I've attached the photo from the catalog, the SKU number is 397201900_does-anyone-know_60659857508db1f1bc0.jpg

I'm not surprised that Global PAF has it, because they're well-known for stealing photos and designs from other decorators. They have one of my cakes with my watermark on it on their Korean website, they have no shame at all...They also stole some photos from my Etsy shop and the mold listing there. I don't know what they'd send you if you bought the mold from them, since I have the original vintage brooch that I use to make the mold. Here's their listing and mine: http://www.paf.kr/front/php/product.php?product_no=1856&main_cate_no=24&display_group=1   

https://www.etsy.com/listing/96843490/

They steal designs and sell cheap knockoffs of other people's work all the time, so PLEASE don't buy from them, take the time to look to see who they stole the design from and buy it from the original designer. They also have a lot of stolen designs from other Etsy sellers, stolen photos from other cake decorators (look at all of those watermarks) and stolen designs from companies like @MarvelousMolds ‍. Please don't buy from them if you can find an alternative!

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 25

I don't know if it attached the photo, it was there then it wasn't, so here it is again. Plus the links to see how shady Global PAF is...

http://www.paf.kr/front/php/product.php?product_no=1856&main_cate_no=24&display_group=1   

https://www.etsy.com/listing/96843490/

900_does-anyone-know_60659857508e8a1a277.jpg

MBalaska Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 25

Wow, they copied you mold & stole your photo.  It still has your watermark on the cake photo.

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:55pm
post #16 of 25

Yeah, they're ridiculous. They also have tons of photos on that site that came straight from other people's Etsy shops.

carolinecakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:19pm
post #17 of 25

Wow, I had no idea, good thing I did not buy it. Shameless...... They have your watermarked cake. I would hate to do business with a company like that. Are there others like that, we should be aware of. 

640Cake Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 25

Seems to be a common theme for Korea.  Back in April, Louis Vuitton filed a lawsuit against a Korean company for stealing their name and logo for fried chicken - Louis Vuitton fried chicken.  LV logos on the napkins, boxes, etc...they have no shame.  Apparently, this happens all the time there.

Nancylou Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:27pm
post #19 of 25

Thanks for the heads up Costumeczar, I had no idea.  Great question carolinecakes, are there others we should be aware of? 

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:41pm
post #20 of 25

Quote by @640Cake on 18 minutes ago

Seems to be a common theme for Korea.  Back in April, Louis Vuitton filed a lawsuit against a Korean company for stealing their name and logo for fried chicken - Louis Vuitton fried chicken.  LV logos on the napkins, boxes, etc...they have no shame.  Apparently, this happens all the time there.

Well, now I want some fried chicken! :)

Alibaba is really bad for copycat and counterfeit items, as is Aliexpress. They're more like an Amazon though, as far as I know, so it's a lot of different sellers on one marketplace site. But they're full of fakes and inferior quality products.

jchuck Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:53pm
post #21 of 25

stephdover4 

If you can find a nice piece of lace, it is easy to replicate. You cut a section of lace and cover in liquid laundry  and or spray starch. Let the lace set up nice and hard. You can either use the lace and press it into gumpaste and use that as your template, or buy a make your own mould kit and make your own mould with the stiffened lace. Not sure where you live.   You can buy these mould making kits at Michael's or Hobby Lobby with a coupon. 

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 10:54pm
post #22 of 25

If you're going to make a mold using the silicone that you get at craft stores, make sure to get the liquid type that you pour, not the putty. The putties have a very short working time once you start mixing them, and you wont' have enough time to cover a large piece of lace before the silicone sets up. With the pourable type it takes a lot longer to firm up, but it will give you the time you need to mix the silicone and pour it on the lace. the other side of that, though, is that the pourable type means that you'd have to attach the lace to something so that the silicone doesn't ooze through and encapsulate the lace piece inside of the silicone. You should watch some videos before trying t, I'm sure there are a ton on youtube. 

Also make sure that the silicone you're using is rated for food use, not all of them are, and some should be used with good ventilation!

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 10:55pm
post #23 of 25

I meant to add that you can make small molds with the putties, just not a big piece of lace. For smaller things the putty works fine.

SandraAlicante Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 4:57am
post #24 of 25

I am a logical sort of person but I do think, well, differently to a lot of people..so

Is there some way that you could use a strip of gum paste to make the impression of the lace, let it set up - then coat it with something to stop the 'sugar veil' (for want of a better term) sticking to it?  Thereby using gum paste as the mold?

Just a thought. I've never used a mold for icing, don't even have flower veiners.

stephdover4 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:04am
post #25 of 25

Omgosh, I can't believe you found it. To bad it on that particular site. I hate that they have stolen your picture costumeczar, that's awful!

I have thought of making a mold of lace myself I just haven't found a piece of lace I love like I do this one yet. I do make small molds with food safe putty but I haven't tried the liquid. Sounds like a great weekend project.

Thank you all for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%