Sharp Edges

Decorating By Lovescakesme Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 7:58pm by Lovescakesme

Lovescakesme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovescakesme Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hiya everyone,

i'm new to this forum and so happy i have found it  i am having trouble getting sharp edges with both fondant and buttercream.

When i cut the cake and stack it is straight and when the buttercream is on it also has a sharp corner at the top, however as soon as the fondant is applied it the edges are automatically rounded  how can i avoid this?

thank you x

5 replies
Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 6

maybe your fondant is to thick, try thinning it out more before placing it on the cake.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

You need to work for those sharp edges :)  Some use two fondant smoothers to sharpen the corners.  I use something called sugar smoothers to sharpen the edge.  http://www.sugarworks.com/products/sugar-smoother

You tube has a lot of videos on sharp edges - and a lot of different ways to achieve them!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 6

i found a video on youtube by cupcake jemma which detailed how to cover a cake with fondant so a bit basic but she also went into getting sharp edges using fondant smoothers as mentioned above. Might be worth you having a look at that.

SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 6

It sounds like maybe you are not chilling the buttercream on the cake before doing the fondant?

Lovescakesme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovescakesme Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank youfor the replies,

i have been chilling them, i think i need to get another smoother and be more patient with it. I'm not sire if my fondant is too thick or not, i'm always so nervours about covering a cake, if its too thin it might rip and if I can't get the creases out i will have to redo the whole thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%