Placing Top 2 Tiers Already Stacked On Top Of Other Stacked Tiers?

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 3:01pm by HannahsMomi

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 1:13am
post #1 of 5

I have a 5 tier wedding cake coming up in a couple of weeks and I am wondering about delivery and stacking.  The bottom tier and the top tier both have blush pink buttercream rosettes on them.  The 3 middle tiers are smooth iced buttercream.  I was thinking that I would stack the bottom 2 tiers for transport, keep the middle tier unstacked, and stack the top 2 tiers.  Typically, I would just travel with the bottom 2 stacked and then stack the remaining tiers individually at the venue.  But the rosettes on the top tier are causing me pause.  I can't put the rosettes on the top tier until it is stacked on the tier below it and I do not want to put the rosettes on the top tier at the venue.  I believe that would be too difficult!  First of all, the cake would be super tall...plus I would not be able to turn the cake easily to put the rosettes on.  Oh, and the cake is going to be on a very large round table.

I guess my question is, has anyone placed 2 tiers already stacked together onto the tiers below it?  I'm wondering if this is really difficult to do?  The top 2 tiers are a 6" and an 8"....

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 4:41am
post #2 of 5

Yes, I have stacked 2 tiers on top of 2 tiers.  It can be tricky especially since you mentioned you don't think you can reach the top and it will be on a big round table.  YOu put the bottom tiers close from the edge as you feel you can reach, plop the top tiers on, finish any bordering needed then push the whole thing to the center.  This can be a problem especially if it is covered w/a tablecloth.  Sometimes you can 'walk' it to the center....lift the cake a bit - enough to get your fingers under it  and push/'turn' it to the center as far as you can reach easily, then repeat from the other side as needed.  It would help if you could enlist the help of someone....even a kid (of course needs to be old enough to help/follow instructions).

How about taking a small 2-step ladder to help you reach that top tier?  

HannahsMomi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 11:54am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much kakeladi!  It is great to hear that someone else has done this and it has worked!  And thanks for the extra tips!  I will be sure to bring a small step ladder and someone to help me.  I guess I'm just worried about dropping those top 2 tiers because I'm assuming they'll be a little "tippy" while stacking....ugh, if people only know what we go through with their wedding cakes!  Ha!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 11:54am
post #4 of 5

Definitely take a ladder, that's good advice. You could also build the top two tiers on a plastic plate that fits into the push-through pillars that you would use to dowel the middle tier. Then you wouldn't have to do anything other than plop the plastic plate into the pillars and you'd know that it was centered correctly. It's trickier to place two stacked tiers on top, like kakeladi said, but it can be done.

HannahsMomi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 5

I use SPS, so all I will have to do is stack my cakes onto the SPS plate...  I am mostly worried about dropping them while I am placing them on top.  I think I definitely need to bring help to be my "spotter" as I place them.  And bring an emergency repair kit just in case!  It doesn't help that I am dealing with major carpal tunnel right now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%