Need Help With Nasty Butter Cream!

Decorating By Cakemomma5 Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 10:15am by julia1812

Cakemomma5 Posted 31 May 2016 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 8

The butter cream I make is just not good to me...it's not really buttery or too sweet...just odd! 

Its good alone if licked off a spoon but on a cake...ewwww!!!!  Help!!!! 

Here's the recipe...

4 cups sifted confectioners sugar 

1 cup butter

1 tablespoon vanilla 

If I neee to thin it I use milk 

7 replies
AAtKT Posted 31 May 2016 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 8

Add more vanilla...

Or other flavorings...

I use buttermilk to cut the sweetness a little when I make mine...

You could also use whipping cream to make it as well...

Maybe you just aren't that into that particular recipe taste-wise...

You could try other recipes for American Buttercream... There are a ton of them just on here... 

Cakemomma5 Posted 31 May 2016 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 8

Quote by @AAtKT on 13 minutes ago

Add more vanilla...

Or other flavorings...

I use buttermilk to cut the sweetness a little when I make mine...

You could also use whipping cream to make it as well...

Maybe you just aren't that into that particular recipe taste-wise...

You could try other recipes for American Buttercream... There are a ton of them just on here... 

Thank you for the tips! Yes maybe is just not my choice of butter cream! 

I could eat the whole bowl with a spoon but the second it's put on cake it's not good to me at all which is weird! 

I think it may be because I've never had homemade butter cream...only butter cream on cakes from Kroger and Walmart...Idk but I have a few ladies wanting to place some cupcake orders and I'm scared to use this frosting on them! Feel like I'm messing it up, but it's so simple that surely that's not it! 

costumeczar Posted 31 May 2016 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 8

If you're used to the supermarket buttercream you might want to try doing half and half butter and shortening. Grocery stores usually do an all-shortening buttercream, so most people like the butter in it better. Personally, I love the all-butter, but you might prefer the shortening version.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 4:08am
post #5 of 8

...........could eat the whole bowl with a spoon but the second it's put on cake it's not good to me at all which is weird! ......

O.k. this tells me it's not the icing - have you thought it might be your cakes that are causing the problem?

Otherwise I agree that maybe you should b oost up the flavoring.  Try a combination flavoring: 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring and 1/4 teaspoon almond.  Can't stand almond?  Replace that part w/lemon OR any other flavoring you do like.

Another way to cut the sweetness is to use UNflavored yogurt as the 'liquid' instead of milk, cream or whatever else you do use.

Lastly here is a wonderful recipe that most people just love:  www.cakecentral.com/recipe/56745/2-of-everything-icing

It's a great icing and can be made either crusting or non.

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:55am
post #6 of 8

I notice a lot of people in my area just aren't a fan of the taste of real vanilla. They are used to the artificial vanilla taste in canned frosting and supermarket cakes. So I use half real vanilla and half imitation. I would also double the amount of vanilla in the recipe you are using. I find that most vanilla buttercream recipes taste only like powdered sugar or butter bc of the small amount of vanilla. I'm pretty heavy handed with it and people love it! 

HotPink_LipGloss Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 9:01am
post #7 of 8

It wouldn't let me edit and I wanted to add with not enough vanilla, the flavor will really disappear once eaten with cake.

julia1812 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 10:15am
post #8 of 8

Have you tried other types of buttercream? I personally find american buttercream is just yucky...overly sweet and all that. I love meringue buttercream! It's a bit more difficult to make though....but you can always freeze it. Or maybe try ermine (/cooked) buttercream. Super easy to make and not too sweet ( if that is your problem ).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%