Help! I'm Having Issues Making A White Cake, Even Though I've Done It Before.

Baking By JustVcakes Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 1:21am by JustVcakes

JustVcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustVcakes Posted 31 May 2016 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

So when I first used this recipe, I wanted a white cake.  I got it on my first try.

Here's the original recipe

298g cake flour

1 1/4 cup of milk

468g of sugar

1 cup of oil

splash of clear vanilla

4 1/2 tsp of baking powder

10 Tbsp of egg whites

To make the cake more moist I added 1/2 cup more of oil.  It was still white.

I changed my flour to homemade cake flour, and it gave me a yellow tint.  Not bad for a regular vanilla cake.  But I want a white cake or sometimes color my cake, say in blue, and I'm having issues with that.  I just tried going back to the original cake flour I used when it was white and it's still giving me the yellow tint.  I used the same vanilla when it was white.

Is it the oil brand or maybe the carton of egg whites I used?

7 replies
SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 31 May 2016 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8

Are you sure you are going back to the same flour? To get a truly white cake I believe the cake flour has to be bleached - maybe the brand has changed and gone to non bleached?

JustVcakes Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 6:09am
post #3 of 8

I used Softasilk for this last cake, the same when I originally got my white cake.  The only ingredient brand change is the oil and I'm using boxed egg white (egg beater egg whites) instead of taking the egg whites from an egg.  Everything else is the same.

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:38am
post #4 of 8

This may not be the reason, but sometimes my white cake recipe has a yellow tint when I use boxed egg whites instead of taking the egg whites from the eggs. 

JustVcakes Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:42am
post #5 of 8

Interesting.  May check that out.  I was thinking maybe it's the oil.  I originally thought maybe it was the flour, but I changed that and had the same issue.

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:48am
post #6 of 8

Sometimes with scratch baking things just happen like that. I have made the same cake recipes with the same ingredients/brands/technique as I always do and they come out different on occasion. Even the weather can effect your homemade cakes and pastries.

SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:53am
post #7 of 8

I'm wondering if the heat treatment on the egg white has an effect. Strange though, it has no effect on frosting made with it but perhaps that is because they are not cooked again.

JustVcakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 1:21am
post #8 of 8

So I've tried to bake the cakes with egg whites from an egg.  One cake homemade cake flour, the other Softasilk.  The homemade came out the same.  The Softasilk was much lighter, not white, but much lighter. The texture much fluffier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%