Which Is Best For Settling A Cake Overnight

Baking By kparks2 Updated 31 May 2016 , 11:58am by kparks2

kparks2 Posted 31 May 2016 , 11:15am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone.  I have a bridal shower cake due this Saturday and well I want this to be perfect.  So to avoid a bulge on a cake (have never had a problem in the past but since this is for a bride I want things to look spectacular) I have seen two cake decorators I follow say they let their cakes sit in the fridge over night.  Both dam and fill their cakes but one just wraps it in saran wrap but she does not crumb coat like I always do and one crumb coats it before letting it sit in the fridge overnight.  I plan to let the cake sit in my fridge wrapped in saran wrap to allow all gravity to take place but would it be better to leave it un coated or crumb coated?

3 replies
bluefox1394 Posted 31 May 2016 , 11:40am
post #2 of 4

I think it's just personal preference. I typically will dam, fill, crumb coat and then wrap in saran wrap (before the BC crusts) prior to refrigerating. 

costumeczar Posted 31 May 2016 , 11:44am
post #3 of 4

I would crumb coat it and let it sit at room temperature, not in the fridge. When you refrigerate something it solidifies, and the purpose of letting it sit is so that any air that's inside the cake can make its way out. If it's cold and then warms up, the air that's inside will expand and make its way out anyway, so it makes more sense to leave it at room temp for a while if you plan on doing that.

kparks2 Posted 31 May 2016 , 11:58am
post #4 of 4

Makes sense about the room temperature but I may have to still saran wrap it.  In the process of selling the house I bake in and I would not be staying there and do not want to leave it just sitting on the counter while I am not there and there are possible people seeing the house with my realtor.  If I saran wrap loosely would that allow for some air to escape and gravity to take part?  Also, I am doing all this two days prior to the event.  I always add some simple syrup to my cakes before crumb coating but what do you think about letting it sit out for one day prior to final decorating to be served the following day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%