Pecan Pie Messaging

Baking By RockdaleBakingCompany Updated 31 May 2016 , 10:54pm by -K8memphis

RockdaleBakingCompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RockdaleBakingCompany Posted 30 May 2016 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone help me with how to write a message on a pecan pie with pie crust dough.  Do edible printers offer anything in this regard?  Individual cookie cutters would be too time consuming.

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 May 2016 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know that an edible printer would work...Putting something like wafer paper or an icing sheet on top of a pecan pie wouldn't work very well. If you don't want to cut out letters from crust, which would be the best way to do it, you could pipe a message onto the pie once it cools down using a cream cheese or a vanilla frosting. I don't know that it would taste great but it would work.

RockdaleBakingCompany Posted 30 May 2016 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for responding.  We have such a great pecan pie recipe that I would not like to add anything else in the way of flavor over and above what is already there in the crust.  If I could come up with a rolling pin that worked as a cookie cutter, that might solve the time problem with cookie cutter letters but nobody seems to make something such as that.

Thanks for thinking out loud with me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 May 2016 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 9

You could get a laser-engraved pin that would make the letters raised, but you'd have to do a larger piece of crust on it... https://www.etsy.com/search?q=custom+rolling+pin&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

RockdaleBakingCompany Posted 30 May 2016 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 9

What an interesting website.  I have considered something such as the embossing but that would require a double crust and pecan pies traditionally don't have double crusts.  But a cutter built around a rolling pin that cut rather than embossed might work.  Thanks again.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2016 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 9

i have two brainstorm type ideas for you:

1) i thin sugar cookie dough with milk and color it with food color to pipe onto cookies before they are baked -- so with that in mind this first idea might work with pie crust dough might not -- i'd maybe try buttermilk to thin -- real buttermilk even the saco powder buttermilk it has phospholipids that help emulsify the fat -- never tried it -- but of course it would mold into the pie surface as it bakes -- so it would be better on the crust than on the pecans -- i've always piped it real thin because it spreads -- i use parchment cones and cut the the very tip off for a very small opening --

2) my other idea is to use pate choux paste -- cream puff dough/batter -- it won't change the pie and it will pipe excellently and it might bake well on the pie but it bakes brilliantly to make up in advance off the pie -- you can cursive write entire words and then just stick them on after with a little corn syrup or something -- you can make up your orders days in advance -- keeps like a charm on your speedrack

best to you

RockdaleBakingCompany Posted 31 May 2016 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 9

Wow, some interesting thoughts.  Now i have something to try.  Thank you very much

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2016 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 9

oh had a thought -- the pate a choux could be piped on during the bake -- that would work like crazy

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2016 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 9

you could do stand up lettering if you wanted -- just pipe a tail onto each letter or word - bake on parchment separately -- then poke a small hole in the pie after it's baked of course and stick in the lettering -- the hole is needed so the tail doesn't break off

bam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%