Telephone Handle Carving

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 30 Jun 2016 , 7:48pm by -K8memphis

ZlatkaT Posted 28 May 2016 , 11:38am
post #1 of 13

Hello there, I never carve a cake, so here I am asking for help. I will soon attempt to do a cake with a telephone sitting on top. I could do the phone, but am not sure how to carve the handle (laying aside the phone) and the wire.

Should I froze the cake before carving, and do I need some sort of template to help carve the handle? How to cover the handle in fondant (3/4 way, or all around?). In past I covered just round cakes. About he wire I was thinking to make a strip and rotate it around a wooden spoon to dry, would that slip easy and stay curved? Thank you for your help.

12 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2016 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 13

slips easy if you dust the spoon handle with corn starch first --

otherwise on the carving/fondanting -- it just depends on what kind of phone you are making -- gotta picture?

ZlatkaT Posted 28 May 2016 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 13

don't have pics, but it will be an office phone. Is it easier to freeze the cake for handle carving?  And should I grease the wooden spoon and then dust with corn starch? How long should I keep it on, a few hrs? Here is the picture of cake I would like attempt to do:

-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2016 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 13

to make that i think i would cover some cookies with candy clay

-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2016 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 13

me, i would not grease the handle just dust it -- since the cord needs to be flexible i would make it and let it set up just a bit and place it on the cake -- i would likely use fondant + cornstarch for that cord

ZlatkaT Posted 28 May 2016 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 13

You mean for the handle instead of cake to use some rice cakes molded and then cover w fondant? That might work...

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2016 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 13

i might even use regular cookies -- think if i did use rice krispies treats i'd crush them first so it would already be smooth 

ZlatkaT Posted 29 May 2016 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 13

I really appreciate you helping me, and I don’t want to be an annoyer, but I am not sure if I get the idea with cookies. You mean bake a sheet, let say sugar cookies. Then cut stripes and some circle and sandwich them together (with icing or marmalade) then cover it with fondant? I red about the candy clay, about never work with it. It says that is not for covering, rolling out, more for decors.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2016 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 13

no, you're fine -- i was thinking along the lines of like a stack of round shortbread or sugar cookies for the ear piece and mouthpiece on the handle -- actually it's called a receiver -- and an oblong cookie to connect them -- then i guess fondant outside and cake inside would also work but i mean there's no wrong way -- candy clay is easier to smooth out and this is a smaller item -- either way will definitely work but you certainly can use candy clay to cover things

ZlatkaT Posted 30 May 2016 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 13

OK got me thinking all the time about this. I will bake my gingerbread cookie, they are more dense,  and build the handle+receiver. I will make the candy clay. But how would you suggest to cover it. Lay a sheet of the clay over and work it around, or cover the receiver and handle separately and try to smooth the edges later. Cover with the clay all around or just the visible area? I covered only round and square cakes, so no experience with not uneven pieces. The cake is for coworker who is retiring and the party is on the end of June. I think I will work on the handle over weekend, can I freeze it with the candy clay on it, or refrigerated? I hope this is my last q, I will share later. Thank you so much for your help.

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2016 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 13

sure sure, no worries -- yes you can use any of those methods you describe -- i would roll it out and lay it on -- if it's too soft chill it to firm it up -- if it's too thin add some more right onto the original -- the blemishes smooth out with the warmth of your hand --

when you make your candy clay -- warm up the corn syrup too -- mix efficiently it sets up quick --

i would store it at room temp on my speed rack -- safe from light and getting bumped -- or in a cake pan or box -- loosely covered --

hope all goes well  -- i'm open for more questions if you need anything :)

ZlatkaT Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 12:13am
post #12 of 13

Thank you k8memphis for ALL your help and advice. My cake is done, and it is what it is…. Not perfect, but I am proud. I still have a long way to learn. But this time I learned the candy clay and love it. You can peak at my pics to see. Thanks again, just wanted to share.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 13

i think your cake is adorable -- the figurine is brilliant -- I know the 82 year old nurse was very blessed by your creativity -- and now you're doing candy clay too -- wonderful! 

hey sometimes I put powdered vanilla in mine -- zips up the taste -- some butter flavor in there doesn't hurt either -- King Arthur used to sell a vanilla/butter powder but no more -- but I imagine a butter flavored lorann oil would do it too --

best to you and great work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%