Heellllp Meeeee

Decorating By PalmettoCakeCo Updated 29 May 2016 , 9:59pm by lalasarahtops

PalmettoCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PalmettoCakeCo Posted 27 May 2016 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 11

Ok title a little dramatic... But seriously HELP. I'm a NEWbie... Like new, new to cake making. You'll be able to tell by my question. 

I'm in Columbia, South Carolina. "The Arm Pit of the South" as some call it. Because it's HOT, HUMID, and really miserable in the summers. (I should be a spokesperson for the state! ha!) My cakes are FAILING miserably with fondant. I know why - Cover with fondant, put in fridge (very bad now I know) take out, condensation = disgusting goopy mess. BUT... My clients want fondant... I've tried a hybrid cream cheese/butter cream frosting under which seems to be better, but not quite there. Buttercream with shortening isn't as bad, but doesn't taste as good as my other frostings. I get conflicting info on what the best option - Regarding freezing/refrigeration, etc. bc I'm assuming bc I'm using a dairy based frosting (as of now) I HAVE to put in the fridge for storage, don't I?? Ahh! Is Ganache the best option? 

THANK YOU for any advice you can give this clueless baker :D 

10 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 May 2016 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 11

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 May 2016 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 11

Cream cheese is notorious for breaking down fondant, so I can't recommend continuing to use it.

For very hot, humid weather, your best bet is a high ratio shortening based American buttercream that uses no dairy products.  This is shelf stable and resistant to warmer temps.  You can add emulsions or extracts to change the flavor.

A dark chocolate ganache will work well, but won't go with every cake flavor.  Dark chocolate has the highest melting point of all chocolates.

Massa Ticino Carma Tropic is the recommended fondant for high heat/humidity applications.  It's available in many places online.

As for refrigeration, I freeze freshly baked cake layers, defrost them, fill & crumb coat at room temp, chill just long enough to firm up the outside [maybe 10-15 mins.], finish ice, and if applying fondant I will again chill the cake just to the point where the icing is firm enough to allow crisp edges when I apply the fondant.  I then keep the cake at room temp, which in my home is about 72F in the summer.  This way, condensation is never an issue.  If it's extremely hot for delivery, I may chill the cake for 15 mins. b/4 putting it in a pre-cooled car.

PalmettoCakeCo Posted 27 May 2016 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much maybenot for taking the time to pass on this great info! I will for sure take your advise!!! 

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 May 2016 , 1:04am
post #5 of 11

Here's some great tips for successfully refrigerating fondant covered cakes: http://ericaobrien.com/blog/yes-you-can-and-sometimes-should-refrigerate-your-fondant-covered-cakes/

FlourPots Posted 28 May 2016 , 1:11am
post #7 of 11

Jesus! I guess the site no longer allows clickable links or the ability to edit, apparently!!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 May 2016 , 2:04am
post #8 of 11

Yep, editing is pretty much a joke, but the link worked for me.

Yes, if you need to refrigerate a finished fondant covered cake, put it in a cardboard box and wrap it in at least a layer of saran wrap so it can't absorb any odors.  Sit it on the counter, still wrapped, to come to room temp.  The condensation will go to the box & saran and the box itself, leaving the cake very dry and looking fine.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2016 , 2:06am
post #9 of 11

You should try Fondarific, it was developed in Georgia and it stands up in the humidity and heat really well. It has candy clay in it so it's very stretchy and it's very workable and never really dries out completely.

If you refrigerate the cakes put them in a box so that the condensation forms on the box and not on the cake when you take it out. There was also this weird buttercream recipe that I found from someone who lives in Florida, if I remember correctly. She claimed that this held up well in heat. I can't vouch for it but you might want to try it on a hot day to see what happens. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/08/weird-buttercream-recipe.html

PalmettoCakeCo Posted 28 May 2016 , 2:09am
post #10 of 11

Y'all rock. Thank you so much for this invaluable info! Should have reached out sooner, but this is my first "humid season" in the cake making world. Lesson learned!! 

lalasarahtops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalasarahtops Posted 29 May 2016 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 11

I live in the heart of Texas, so I can relate. Fondarific stands up pretty well to the humid heat of Texas and it's a very forgiving, good beginner fondant. I use an IMBC under most of my fondant because it gets hard like a stick of butter in the fridge, so when I place my fondant on it, it doesn't slide around and I don't lose my sharp edges on the cake, which i love. Happy caking :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%