How To Handle Customer Complaint

Business By ShandiKakes Updated 27 May 2016 , 1:35pm by costumeczar

ShandiKakes Posted 27 May 2016 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning.  I got my first complaint last night regarding a cake that was done last weekend.  Here was the situation:  MY friend (who is also my landlord) ordered a cake for her daughter and at the same time, placed an order for HER friend, as they were doing a double party.  MY friend placed the order and provided any and all details and requests regarding HER friend's cake.  It was very nondescript, and she said she wanted to keep the cost at a minimum.  She wanted a two-layer sheet cake "with a Cinderella theme."  No other detail was given and HER friend made no contact whatsoever (until complaining last night)  to me in any regard about the cake. 

The cakes were made and picked up last weekend and the parties were held.  MY friend texted me afterward and said "not a bit of cake left; everybody loved them!" So, almost a week after the fact, I get a message from HER friend saying she wasn't that happy with her cake (which MY friend ordered and paid for), stating that the "decorations were horrible" but the "cake tasted amazing."  She went further to say that MY friend's cake "looked amazing" but that she got "leftovers!"  I honestly don't know what she meant by that, as her cake and MY Friend's cake were completely different flavors with completely different fillings.  The only thing used on both cakes was some yellow buttercream (MY friend's cake was iced in yellow buttercream, then since Cinderella's hair is yellow, I used that yellow icing for the sheet cake border).

My problem is that since MY friend ordered and paid for the cake, do I need to discuss this with MY friend, or do I deal directly with HER friend.  IMO, honestly, I consider MY friend to have been the customer and not HER friend, but maybe I'm wrong in that.  Also, do I offer a refund since the "decorations" didn't meet her expectations (when HER expectations were never shared with me to begin with and MY friend has not complained?)

I did respond to her this morning and thanked her for her message and her feedback.  I apologized the decorations did not meet her expectations but assured her that i did the best that I could.  While I realize the Cinderella topper was not "perfect," she was definitely recognizable as Cinderella and I also said that it was handmade, not mass produced or an edible image. 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as to whether or not any additional communication should be made on my part with HER friend, and if any communication should occur with MY friend, since MY friend has not indicated having any issues.

Thank you!

900_how-to-handle-customer-co_7754625748379d46627.png

3 replies
Jinkies Posted 27 May 2016 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 4

People can be just awful.  I would have, very nicely, explained to her that the cake is what was ordered by the client (your friend).  If she has issues with it, she needs to speak with her.

You had no business transactions with this woman, so you don't owe her anything.

jgifford Posted 27 May 2016 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 4

She waited a week to complain and this was the first time you spoke with her? She definitely has a problem but don't let her make it yours.

IMO, the Golden Cake Rule applies:   Only he/she who pays for the cake gets to complain. 

costumeczar Posted 27 May 2016 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

She's not your customer, so you don't need to communicate with her anymore. If she emails you back tell her that your friend was very happy with the cakes, per her response after the party, and she should talk to her about it if she has a problem. I suspect that won't happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%