Leavening Agent Does Not Match Ingredients.

Baking By LouisNutri Updated 28 May 2016 , 7:08pm by Jinkies

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 27 May 2016 , 4:51am
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I found a recipe in the internet of Chocolate Cake where the writer uses dutch-processed cocoa, but the main leavening agent is baking soda, and very little baking powder. There's no acidic ingredient to the cake such as yogurt, buttermilk, and whatever. I tried making a small batch of the cake and it turned out good. But I only baked it in 5" tin, I'm worried that if I use the original recipe, it would affect the cake. The recipe the writer has is for a 4lb (10") cake, and the dutch cocoa is 120g (~1 cup) and baking soda is 2 tsps, and only 1/2 tsp baking powder...

Would you say that the cake is still "safe"? I mean, the baking soda won't impart its awful taste?

4 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 27 May 2016 , 11:54am
post #2 of 5

I think we would need the full ingredient list to be more of a help...

I actually use a recipe with quite a bit of acid products in it, but do not use any baking soda... only powder... 

If you are that concerned, you could just use natural cocoa powder though...

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 27 May 2016 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 5

That sounds like Yolanda Gampps (How to cake it) recipe.  If so, I have made the 6lb recipe in two 8" pans and it was great.  Just remember that she uses 3" high pans, so do NOT use 4lbs of batter if your pan is only 2" high.

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 28 May 2016 , 4:36am
post #4 of 5

Quote by @AAtKT on 16 hours ago

I think we would need the full ingredient list to be more of a help...

I actually use a recipe with quite a bit of acid products in it, but do not use any baking soda... only powder... 

If you are that concerned, you could just use natural cocoa powder though...

Quote by @Jinkies

on 16 hours ago

That sounds like Yolanda Gampps (How to cake it) recipe.  If so, I have made the 6lb recipe in two 8" pans and it was great.  Just remember that she uses 3" high pans, so do NOT use 4lbs of batter if your pan is only 2" high.

Yes, it is. Thank you for your input! Btw, I have a 9" x 3" cake pan and a friend is asking me to bake an 8" x 3" chocolate cake for her, do you think that using a 9" cake pan would greatly affect the height of the cake? I'll be using her 3lb recipe for it...

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 28 May 2016 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

I used 8x3 and it was went about 1/4 inch over the top.  So, I would say a 9x3 would prob be perfect.  It will give you really tall cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%