Overthinking My Prices... !!!

Business By yjflores1 Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 6:45pm by yjflores1

yjflores1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yjflores1 Posted 26 May 2016 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 15

Hey guys here I go again! Anyways I was asked to make an adult cake(penis) and she told me it would be for 25 people I told her it would be 70 didn't hear from her all week and then she sent a message back saying it was way too much and found someone to make it for her for 45. Things like this make me feel kinda bad because they prob think I overcharge but everyone uses different ingredients, materials etc... Now I'm stuck feeling bad and I'm overthinking about my prices. How do you ladies or gents go about this??? Thanks in advance!

14 replies
kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 26 May 2016 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 15

There will ALWAYS be someone who thinks you are too expensive. Those are not your target market. Every business has a "market" they cater to and not everyone will fit in that mold. As long as you know in your heart that you are not price gouging, then you have to find a way to shake it off and continue on. A cake that will feed 25 people and she is getting it for 45, that is what..a little over $1 per serving? The person making it will go out of business soon or the customers will not return because if they are making a profit on that $1 per serving, then they are using nasty ingredients. But hey, maybe the customer is all bout money and not taste or presentation..if that is the case, you don't want that anyway. Good riddance to her

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 May 2016 , 12:05am
post #3 of 15

Yep, what she said ^^^^

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 27 May 2016 , 2:56am
post #4 of 15

You are in the business of making custom, premium quality luxury products. Just like designer bags and jewelry, there will always be knockoffs and cubic zirconium in the marketplace. Don't let the "budget" cake people get you down. They wouldn't know a quality cake if it was smashed in their face & don't deserve it anyway. 

yjflores1 Posted 27 May 2016 , 5:05am
post #5 of 15

Thanks guys I just feel bad sometimes and I don't want to make them feel like I'm ripping them off! Thanks again only we know how much time we spend on these cakes and the skills you invest In it.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 May 2016 , 6:07am
post #6 of 15

"Things like this make me feel kinda bad"

Thinks like making cakes for other people FOR FREE is what would me feel bad. You've got nothing to worry about. Let others do the charity work!!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 May 2016 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 15

Think of it like feeding the family. Sometimes is $15 at McD's, sometimes it's $100 at Outback. Quality, atmosphere and experience are NOT the same. (same as cakes---design, expertise, and quality all come into play). But it's all dinner (or cake).

Doesn't mean Outback will lower their price to McD's level. Clearly, McD's is so much cheaper.....

So just because someone out there is working for free making cakes for $1/ serving and spending the whole day to do it, doesn't mean you have to. Compare your skill, quality and art to other similar providers in your area. THAT is the test--- not if someone can do it cheaper.

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 29 May 2016 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 15

Good answer Johnson

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 May 2016 , 2:03am
post #9 of 15

TY@kristykgs.

I just hate to see cakers dragged down to the lowest possible option.  My cakes ARE expensive but they ARE worth it.

Chin up yjflores!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 May 2016 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 15

Way to go, CC members. Love your answers. You guys are awesome.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 6:58am
post #11 of 15

Its entirely possible she got a little floppy penis cake for the price she told you.....they'll be sorry they didn't go for your lovely anatomically correct one? Who wouldn't?

SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 9:05am
post #12 of 15

Personally I'd rather not do cakes like that!  I prefer pretty ones..:)

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 15

Same here @SandraAlicante ‍ I was just commenting on another thread about body part cakes. I hope we never get asked to do one bc I'll say no politely of course. 

To op someone will always be cheaper than you that's the fact of being a business. I don't concern myself with those who seek cheaper cakes bc usually you get what you pay for. Seen a cake that we were asked to do but we were out of her budget I saw the cake she got and really hope she didn't spend her whole budget on it. So either they end up happy with what they get or next time around they'll be coming back to you. I would strongly discourage you lowering your prices bc of one cheapskate :)

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 15

Same here @SandraAlicante ‍ I was just commenting on another thread about body part cakes. I hope we never get asked to do one bc I'll say no politely of course. 

To op someone will always be cheaper than you that's the fact of being a business. I don't concern myself with those who seek cheaper cakes bc usually you get what you pay for. Seen a cake that we were asked to do but we were out of her budget I saw the cake she got and really hope she didn't spend her whole budget on it. So either they end up happy with what they get or next time around they'll be coming back to you. I would strongly discourage you lowering your prices bc of one cheapskate :)

yjflores1 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 6:45pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much guys I'm sticking to my guts and leaving my prices as is ! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%