Pink Buttercream - Help Please!

Decorating By pm31 Updated 28 May 2016 , 8:58am by pm31

pm31 Posted 26 May 2016 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All

I'm really quite new to cake decorating (but loving it!!)

I'm making a rose swirl ombre cake for my mother's birthday.  I baked the 4 layer sponges yesterday and coloured 3 of them with graduating amounts of Wilton's Rose Pink.  The pinkest of all was fine but the other 2, as they were paler, were interacting with the yellow sponge and were more of a salmon pink shade! After a bit of research, I realised I possibly should have used a white sponge recipe with egg whites only (not something I had ever heard of before!).

Anyway, I am now concerned that I will have the same issue with my buttercream, using butter.  Should I use shortening instead? Or is colour paste in buttery buttercream more effective than in a yellow sponge?? And if I do use shortening, is it especially different in taste to a buttery buttercream - I've never tried it before?  And, last but not least, if I SHOULD use shortening, does anyone UK-based know which type to use?  I hear so much on these forums about Crisco but it's not sold here...

So very many thanks in advance for all your help:) xx

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 May 2016 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 4

Using about 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter will not effect the color/shade of b'cream.....

Beat the 1/2 & 1/2 at least 5 minutes before adding any other ingredients then up to 10 minutes on low speed when aLL ingredients have been added will lighten up the color so that it is almost white :)

hippiecac Posted 27 May 2016 , 3:05am
post #3 of 4

I only use 100% butter in my buttercream and color it with no problems. If you aren't used to the taste/mouthfeel of shortening I recommend not using it. IMO it's greasy and coats the tongue in a weird way. 

You can add white food coloring to the buttercream before tinting it. Wilton makes it, as do Squires Kitchen and PME.

Good luck :)

pm31 Posted 28 May 2016 , 8:58am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much, ladies!  2 very different pieces of advice.  Since I'm new to all this, and I'm enjoying playing around and experimenting, maybe I'll just try both methods:)  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, thanks again xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%