Hot And Humid

Decorating By mjk85 Updated 26 May 2016 , 4:03pm by LCMcakes

mjk85 Posted 26 May 2016 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 3

I just got volunteered to make a Graduation cake for next weekend.

One big problem, all my decorating stuff got left in Canada when I moved back to Texas. So I need a good website where I can order some supplies and have them here within a couple days.

The other problem is that I learned how to decorate while living in Canada where it wasnt overly hot and not humid at all so had no issues with buttercream.

I have a feeling being in Texas that I might have some issues. Does anyone have a good recipe that can withstand heat and humidity or better yet, a good premade brand that I can order and save some time since I have less than a week to figure out, bake and decorate a cake to feed almost 100 people?

2 replies
Ddmae1 Posted 26 May 2016 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 3

Hot and humid. I have the same problem, hope you get an answer on that. Cuz I could use it too 

LCMcakes Posted 26 May 2016 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 3

I live in hot and humid Texas as well.

I use the Wilton buttercream recipe that uses half butter and half Crisco (which holds up better than all butter recipes in hot/humid areas) and I get many compliments on the buttercream (I do add my own special vanilla).  Better yet, use hi ratio shortening when you can (use 3/4 of the recipe amount; you don't need as much), but you won't have enough time to order this time around probably. I will say that I always advise my customers to leave the cake or cupcakes in an air conditioned environment until right before serving (if it's an outdoor event that is); have a fan nearby if possible.  That's just the reality of living in certain areas of muggy TX.

If the event is indoors then you don't need to worry at all if there is air conditioning.  In my 5 yrs of being in business I've never lost a cake at an indoor air conditioned function (or outdoor for that matter).  Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%