Help! Used A Steamed Pudding Tin For A Princess Cake - Mud Cake Cooked For 4 Hours Disaster

Baking By cakedivanot Updated 25 May 2016 , 7:54pm by ropalma

cakedivanot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivanot Posted 25 May 2016 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 2

sorry for the saga ....I have used this tin before to make a princess cake but it was a few years ago and from scratch mud cake recipe and can't recall any issues. last night i used a premium mud cake mix ... substituted the water with yoghurt.  *sigh* I couldn't get the middle to cook.  When putting in the oven i place the tin on a wet tea towel so the bottom doesn't burn whilst the middle cooks.  and I wrapped a cake strip around the bottom of the tin, and had foil over the top. This is what i normally do with baking mud cakes.  After 2 hours of cooking, the inside was still raw.  so did away with the strip and the foil.  after 3 hours of cooking, wrapped the outside of the tin with the strips again as worried the perimeter of the cake will burn.  At 3.5 hours, the inside was still gooey, so turned up the heat.  At the 4 hour mark the centre had cooked. i took the cake out of the oven, and wrapped it with a tea towel to keep the warmth in to make sure the centre is cooked.  several hours later - the cake has shrunk and it being chocolate - I have no idea if it is burnt.  Very firm when I press on it.  I am not confident it is edible ... it is a a special occasion so i want to serve edible cake to my guests.  I want to give it another go ... but i am running out of time.  any tips on what I should have done differently?  i have tried this cake mix before and maybe the replacement of water with yoghurt made it too gooey to cook? would appreciate any assistance. 

1 reply
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 25 May 2016 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 2

I would just use the water and do not make a replacement

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%