How Much Lemon Curd Do I Need? And Other Curd Questions...

Baking By leightorres Updated 27 May 2016 , 2:44am by hippiecac

leightorres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leightorres Posted 25 May 2016 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all!  I search for this question and did not find anything, if this thread already exists please forgive me. 

Question 1:

I am making a wedding cake this weekend, along with a groom's cake. Each tier will have three layers.

• Groom's cake: 8" tier, 10" tier
  • Wedding Cake: 8", 10", 12"

Do you guys have an idea of how much curd I will need?  I plan on a thin layer of frosting beneath the curd, with a dam.  I have 7 cups of curd right now, and was just wondering if this was enough. 

Question 2:

If I wanted to stiffen the curd by using sheet gelatin, how much sheet gelatin would I need?  And am I right in assuming that what I do is bloom the gelatin in cold water, add to warmed curd, mix, then cool curd again?

Question 3:

I am going to be driving about four hours with these cakes, filled and frosted (SMBC), but not stacked.  It's going to be in the 80s this weekend, I have a ton of non-sweat ice packs, and we plan on keeping the car very cool.  I feel like that's fine, but would love input/tips.

Thank you so much for any guidance you can provide! 

6 replies
hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 25 May 2016 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 7

I fill cakes as follows: 

8" - 1 cup per layer

10" - 1 1/2 cups per layer 

12" - 2 cups per layer 

Assuming you're doing 3 layers of cake with 2 layers of filling, according to my numbers you'd need about 14 cups. 

I can't speak for using gelatin in curd as I generally make mine on the stiffer side. Your method sounds right, but I don't know how much you'll use. It also depends on the strength of the gelatin (silver/gold/etc.)

As for travel, I'd freeze the layers a few hours before heading out just for extra insurance. Otherwise AC on blast and fingers crossed you should be ok :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 May 2016 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 7

I am also not sure on how much gelatin you will be needing sorry, it depends what sort of set you are going for, gelatin type etc but as for disolving it and adding it to your curd, the trick is to 'temper' your geltin prior to adding it to your curd.

Liquify gelatin as per your instructions.

To temper the gelatin. Ensure gelatin is cool/warm and not hot then add a little bit of your cool/cold curd mixture to the liquified gelatin, stir well, add a little more and stir again. Repeat until you havethe gelatin at the same temperature as your curd.

If it is done properly you should then be able to beat it into your curd without having it set up before it is incorperated well and there will be no need to reheat your curd and you can start using it straight away.

leightorres Posted 26 May 2016 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much!  Will this method work for sheet gelatin, or powdered only?

leightorres Posted 26 May 2016 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you, Hippiecac!  That's so helpful...I really couldn't find anything that had any sort of recommendation for how much curd is needed.  You're the best!

leightorres Posted 26 May 2016 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you, Hippiecac!  That's so helpful...I really couldn't find anything that had any sort of recommendation for how much curd is needed.  You're the best!

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 27 May 2016 , 2:44am
post #7 of 7

:) good luck! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%