Filling A Fallen Cake

Decorating By Coffeeismylyfe Updated 28 May 2016 , 6:48am by -K8memphis

Coffeeismylyfe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 12:05am
post #1 of 19

Hi, I am new to these parts so I'm sorry if this has been asked to death. I baked a chocolate cake today intending to torte, fill, and cover with fondant. It fell as it cooled. I still torted it, but now I'm questioning if I an compensate for the depression with my buttercream filling. I am concerned about getting a level enough surface to cover with the fondant. Does anyone e have experience or advice they might share?

18 replies
Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 12:11am
post #2 of 19

Here is a pic of the indent: [postimage id="3977" thumb="900"]

chocolate0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate0 Posted 25 May 2016 , 12:22am
post #3 of 19

What I'd do is level out the cake so that the indent is level or almost level with the rest of the cake. It will make it a little bit shorter, yes, but it will level it better than frosting, which l look strange mounded in center, as well.

Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 12:33am
post #4 of 19

Here is a pic of the indent: [postimage id="3978" thumb="900"]

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 25 May 2016 , 12:47am
post #5 of 19

Your screen name is hilarious! I can relate!

I would level lower too, as said above - you really can't fill the hole with icing.  Maybe it's the photo - is there a chance it's uneven baking / undercooked in the center?

Best,

Theresa

Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 12:51am
post #6 of 19

Darn, I already torted so if I level it there would be no layer left! And yes, I think my oven should have been hotter for better baking, but I don't have an oven safe thermometer. Buying one asap!

PattyCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyCakes88 Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:25am
post #7 of 19

OMG this happen to me last week!!! I wanted to die!!! But I just put BC in the hole and leveled the layer with BC. No complaints from my customer! 

Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:36am
post #8 of 19

Thanks pattycakes! I went ahead and baked a new cake. It's still in the oven, but I just checked it for doneness and it has a nice crown. I went with a more familiar recipe than I was previously using and bumped the temperature up a bit. I saved the fallen cake though as a treat for another time waiting in the freezer :)

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:42am
post #9 of 19

i always trim my cakes nice n flat, then fill them and then use the bottom of the cake as the top. i get a crisp flat top everytime

PattyCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyCakes88 Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:44am
post #10 of 19

Idk if you've seen those even bake strips?! Well don't buy the ones that cost like $10 for two. I found a video on YouTube with a lady who cut a towel into 2in strips and the length to go around the whole pan. She then wet them and pinned them with T pins. Well after seeing the video I tried it and believe it or not it actually works! You won't have to tort your cake and it bakes evenly! If it comes out a little domed take another towel and gently push it down!!! I swear by this because I'm a lefty and knives weren't made for me so you can imagine how my torting comes out! Lol. The strips help the cake center from sinking! 

Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:52am
post #11 of 19

Quote by @sweetceces on 7 minutes ago

i always trim my cakes nice n flat, then fill them and then use the bottom of the cake as the top. i get a crisp flat top everytime

Even if you have a dent like the one I showed facing the filling? The final stacked cake doesn't sink?

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:55am
post #12 of 19

yes b.c i trim most of it down so that its level. using the bottom of the cake helps too with icing there is less crumbs created.

Coffeeismylyfe Posted 25 May 2016 , 3:09am
post #13 of 19

Well, my second cake fell too as it cooled. Not sure what I'm doing wrong :( but my husband had the genius idea to use the bottom half of both cakes as the layers. Thanks for all of your replies!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2016 , 4:26am
post #14 of 19

Quote by @Coffeeismylyfe on 1 hour ago

...second cake fell too as it cooled....hubby said use bottoms of both cakes.......

He sounds like a keeper! :)  Glad it worked out for you.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 May 2016 , 7:11am
post #15 of 19

Keep the fallen cakes to fill any future dents you might have with your chocolate cakes!

Coffeeismylyfe Posted 28 May 2016 , 1:59am
post #16 of 19
Coffeeismylyfe Posted 28 May 2016 , 2:11am
post #17 of 19
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 28 May 2016 , 3:41am
post #18 of 19

I would cut off little slice of cake from the top, just enough to  fill the indent, then, stick it into the indent and then, torte.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2016 , 6:48am
post #19 of 19

are you over filling your pans?

http://www.wilton.com/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%