Wasc In Large Scale?

Business By Chefperl Updated 19 Jul 2016 , 7:24pm by -K8memphis

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 24 May 2016 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 14

I have been baking as a small business for a few years now and for my vanilla cake, I use a WASC variation.  Today I got a phone call from a store that wants me to come work there. I would be the head decorator.  I am so nervous. Nobody knows I use a mix as a base. Does duncan hines come in large scale?  Does anyone use them?  Anyone use a WASC on a large scale? Any help would be useful . TIA

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2016 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 14

Have you talked to the owners that you will be able to use your baking/mix recipe(s)?  They might not let you use a mix.  

I used it in my bakery but I don't remember how to mix it up anymore as that was about 5-8 yrs ago.  Suppliers can be a big help in multiplying and mixing properly.  That's how I found what was going wrong when I switched to 50# bags of mix.  I got mine from (I believe) Dawn and was told it was the same mix as Pillsbury boxes.  It works very well once I figured out the proper way to mix all the ingredients.  You will have to figure out how much to increase each ingredients and the best way to mix/add them.  It is a little different than working with one box :)

BakeMiaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeMiaCake Posted 24 May 2016 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 14

I make my own WASC. I don't like using boxed mixes anymore, I can taste the difference.  And "no added preservatives" is a good selling point.

2 1/2 c sugar

3 3/4 c flour

.25 oz ea - salt, baking pwdr, baking soda

8 oz whole milk

8 oz warm water

3 oz veg oil

.5 oz ea vanilla &  almond extracts

.75 oz white vinegar

4 lg egg whites

8 oz sour cream

Mix and bake as usual

Chefperl Posted 24 May 2016 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 14

can you use non dairy milk? or does it need the fat? I only bake non-dairy

Chefperl Posted 24 May 2016 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 14

thanks.  the owners are giving me free range as I have a great reputation. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2016 , 4:18am
post #6 of 14

BakeMiaCake's recipe is the same as one batch of WASC  using one box mix - not large scale :(  

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 May 2016 , 4:23am
post #7 of 14

Protect your recipes... just as a "heads up". Can they afford to hire you, or just want your clientele and recipes?

I don't know if I would be willing to give them (recipes) up too easily.

BakeMiaCake Posted 25 May 2016 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 14

I'd say it needs the fat, Chefperl.  And I hear ya johnson, just thought I'd be a good egg.  ;)  

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 May 2016 , 1:54am
post #9 of 14

Quote by @Chefperl on 1 day ago

@Bakemiacake...yeah your recipe. Good egg, thanks.  :)  We all share here and it IS so helpful!

But I worry about OP Chefperl who is being hired by her "competition" and then giving the new boss her recipes...ya know?

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/831236/wasc-in-large-scale#tQYzkRQkYzIkUKI8.99

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/831236/wasc-in-large-scale#tQYzkRQkYzIkUKI8.99

Chefperl Posted 27 May 2016 , 4:51am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the advice.  They are not competition yet.  They aren't even open yet.  They wouldn't own my recipes, i discussed that.   I will have to figure out logistics of that ifn I'm not the one baking.  I actually hate the baking part.  

Chefperl Posted 27 May 2016 , 4:51am
post #11 of 14

Thanks for the advice.  They are not competition yet.  They aren't even open yet.  They wouldn't own my recipes, i discussed that.   I will have to figure out logistics of that ifn I'm not the one baking.  I actually hate the baking part.  

BakeMiaCake Posted 27 May 2016 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 14

Gotcha, johnson6ofus.  And I do think of that.  I don't generally share my recipes, but this one's so basic that I'm ok with sharing this one.  Now my fondant recipe.....?   That one I refuse to share.  ;)  It doesn't start with marshmallows and I NEVER use store bought, and no it's not like the videos you see on youtube.  It's the best fondant in the world.  LoL

ChefPerl.....  they will "own" your recipes if you don't make them sign something.  I don't know who you're possibly going to be working with, but never enter into a new a situation without preparing for the worst.  Even tho this may be a great opportunity fr you, you still have to protect yourself and that's not a bad thing.  It's not like you're going to walk in there are say "hey, I don't trust you so you need to sign this agreement."  But, you should get them to sign something to say your recipes are yours to take with you should this relationship end.  And you should also include, that they can't keep or share your recipes in the event that the relationship ends.

Just covering bases.  It's one of the reasons I like doing my cakes and cookies from home.  I don't know as I can trust ppl not to take my info and share it.  I do a lot things unconventionally and I don't know as I want that shared with the wrong person/people.

Chefperl Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all the help.  Just wondering, if I use a WASC, it's not my recipe anyway, so should ut matter?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 14

duncan hines white cake mix used to print on the top of the box something to the effect 'no preservatives' so for what it's worth...just tossing that out there since duncan was specificaly mentioned --

best to all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%