Customer Service

Business By I-heart-cupcaKes Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 8:05pm by hippiecac

I-heart-cupcaKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 24 May 2016 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 11

Hello All!

I used to work in a bakery. When people called to order specialty cakes, they'don't come pick them up and be on thier way.

Now that I own my own business and have a homebased bakery I was wondering if I should be going the extra mile after I deliver the cakes? Should I do a follow up call to see how the order turned out for them? Or is that too much?

I want to build a report with my customers and have return customers. I'm just not sure how to go about it!

Any advice and help would be great!

Thanks! 

10 replies
I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 24 May 2016 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 11

*they would come....not they don't 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2016 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 11

I usually live by the theory "No news is GOOD news".  Do other businesses call you to ask how everything is/was?  Take your clue from that.  To build rapport with you customers be friendly when they contact you ("Oh Mrs X How NICE to hear from you again;  Are you in need of another sweet treat?  What's the occasion this time? etc, etc.") and give them the BEST cake (taste and looks) you possibly can. 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 24 May 2016 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 11

I really don't like when doctors offices, stores, websites call me to follow up,  so I never make follow up  calls. If they like my product they will come back. No time for follow up calls! 

I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 24 May 2016 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks! I never thought of it like that! My S/O is a broker and personal Health Insurance Rep, and he thinks I should do follow ups. But I guess it doesn't translate as well in the baking industry. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 May 2016 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 11

You have to be careful as to not create yourself more jobs than you have time to do.  I agree with Kakledi...unless I heard otherwise, I'd assume the cake was fine.

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 24 May 2016 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 11

Agreed -- if they were happy, they'll order again and you'll probably get new customers from referrals. I had a new customer about a year ago who was rather difficult to work with throughout the ordering process, and I never heard a peep after she picked up her cake.  I figured I'd heard the last from her. Wrong! She has turned out to be one of my best customers and has basically ordered a cake every chance she gets, plus she's referred several new customers. I've learned that while some folks will contact me after an event to tell me how much they liked the cake, many won't and that's okay.  Chances are that if they are UNHAPPY, they'll let you know!

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 24 May 2016 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 11

Agreed -- if they were happy, they'll order again and you'll probably get new customers from referrals. I had a new customer about a year ago who was rather difficult to work with throughout the ordering process, and I never heard a peep after she picked up her cake.  I figured I'd heard the last from her. Wrong! She has turned out to be one of my best customers and has basically ordered a cake every chance she gets, plus she's referred several new customers. I've learned that while some folks will contact me after an event to tell me how much they liked the cake, many won't and that's okay.  Chances are that if they are UNHAPPY, they'll let you know!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 7:44am
post #9 of 11

Absolutely! I hate getting pestered by companies after an event, quite frankly I translate that as pushy people harassing me, or someone who has just found they've shed dandruff all over my product and are calling to suss if I've found it yet.

Think on THAT next time you're tempted to call up for unsolicited feedback LOL x

SandraAlicante Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraAlicante Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 9:01am
post #10 of 11

"or someone who has just found they've shed dandruff all over my product and are calling to suss if I've found it yet."

Lol, I was watching a YT video (supposedly by a professional baker) and her long hair wasn't tied back..I know it was a demo only but if you bother to put on the white coat, surely you should pull your hair back too?

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 11

I don't reach out directly to the customer, but when I post photos on social media I do tag them and thank them again for their order. They more often than not will respond about how good the cake/cookies/etc. were and share photos. Free advertising and I'm assured that the customer was happy. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%